Too much filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm buying my granddaughter a 17 gallon frameless for Christmas and I have an extra 500gph cannister laying around. If I build a spray/diffuser bar will the current still be too great?

The tank will be a planted show guppy tank

Thanks
MeCasa

U can build the spray bar but put a valve on it to adjust the flow . Guppies dont like too much of a current. Better if u can jes buy a hang on back filter for a 20g. Wouldnt cost that much and nun to wrry bout spray bar and thing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For guppies IMO maybe, because the male's tails are so large I'd think they would struggle. But you can certainly try, and judge by eyeballing it.

Then again, if you constructed something that was sort of crescent shaped and diverted the water toward the sides and not straight it might work.

A sponge prefilter sleeve would also help.

Good point. I raise cichlids in large tanks and I didn't give enough thought to how the current would affect guppies, especially with show tails.

I like cannisters especially with frameless tanks but I probably should look for a 200gph

Odyssea 500, some people don't like them but I swear by them. They're inexpensive, simplistic & quiet. I currently have (2) 500's and a 700 in use.

Back
Top Bottom