Too much light, time for DIY yeast CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I got 36" T5HO lighting for my 46gal tank. It's 2x45W so thats 90W for 46 gal so about 2W/gal. But then I realised that's just a general guideline, and T5HO has TWICE the lumens per watt of T12. So the 2W/gal limit for no CO2 was probably based on T12 which means I have too much light? I don't want to get some crazy expensive CO2 system, I'm already over my budget... Should I try some DIY yeast, or just get a lower wattage light?

--Adeeb

Are you seeing any ill effects that raise your question? Algae problems?

Buy an azoo regulator/needle valve for 60 dollars and an aluminum 5lb tank for 40 if you can. Otherwise downgrade the lights. As the person above said, it may not be a problem until you actually see algae.

I thought 36" T5s were 39W, not 45. Doesn't make a big difference here, though.

Something you can consider is instead of using 2 "plant" bulbs, have one of them be an actinic or a 50/50 bulb, thus reducing by 25-50% your total lighting output until you're ready for a full blown CO2 system.

The actinic light has no ill-effects on your plants/fish, and actually if you have colorful fish it'll make their colors pop even more. I have some actinic on my system and my praecox rainbows that blue they have in their scales almost glows. It's awesome.

I thought 36" T5s were 39W, not 45. Doesn't make a big difference here, though.

Something you can consider is instead of using 2 "plant" bulbs, have one of them be an actinic or a 50/50 bulb, thus reducing by 25-50% your total lighting output until you're ready for a full blown CO2 system.

The actinic light has no ill-effects on your plants/fish, and actually if you have colorful fish it'll make their colors pop even more. I have some actinic on my system and my praecox rainbows that blue they have in their scales almost glows. It's awesome.

That a good idea, I'll do that. Thanks. I don't even have the plants yet just thinking in advance...

--Adeeb

research and planning ahead of time is always a great idea.

for the mix bulbs, check out the giesemann aquablue+ bulbs. I mix these in with full daylight bulbs on my planted tank.

for the mix bulbs, check out the giesemann aquablue+ bulbs. I mix these in with full daylight bulbs on my planted tank.

I have two Life-GLO bulbs atm. I think I'll just go exchange one of them at Petsmart for a 50/50 or Marine-GLO. They also have a FW plant version, but I looked at the color temp and spectrum and it doesn't seem like the best thing for plants...

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom