Too much water movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my liverock today. :D Right now I have 2 powerheads in there one is a peguin 550 (145gph) and the other is a aquaclear 101 (80 gph) at opposing ends of my 29g tank. Is this too little? Or should I get a another peguin in there? And if so would a peguin 660 (170 gph) be too much? ANd finally is there an equation I should be using to decide what is enough movement? I plan to have FOWLR, but then when I feel comfortable, move to soft corals.

I believe in somewhere between 10-20 tank volumes per hour of flow, but diffused so it isn't tearing the hide of your inverts. That typically means mid sized pumps on a wavemaker or more smaller pumps.

I think right now your borderline for water movement, wouldn't hurt to add another powerhead, but it might not be necessary. If it were me I would and I would add the larger powerhead and use it for blowing behind the rocks.

OK Kevin call me Dumb!

So, 10X-20X tank volume. Does this mean for example you could have 4 PH moving 250GPH or 2 moving 500GPH or 1 moving 1000GPh (just example) for a 100gal tank.

I should point out though, that the 4 PH's moving 250 gph each would be much better than one doing 1000 gph. What you're looking for is turbulence instead of laminar flow. 4 powerheads aimed so their flow crashes together will simulate wave action much better than one blowing across the tank.

wow, I thought I was lagging I didn;t relize power heads counted;) I am the winner now.Ha HA I win .I am the winner.

No really didn't relize I feel much more better now

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom