Too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm having to restock my 55 gallon fish tank now that all my baby fish are out of there. The tank is heavily planted and has a canister filter rated for 125 gallons on it. I do weekly 50% water changes. Last time I missed a change (16 days between changes), I tested out of curiosity (API Masterkit) and ammonia was barely registered, no nitrites, and nitrates were at 20.

What I have now:

1 Hifin Pleco
2 BN PLeco
4 Oto
4 Cory Cats
3 Bloodfin Tetra
3 Swordtails
4 Serpae Tetra

What I want to have.

1 Hifin
2 BN Pleco
3 Swordtails
4 Oto
4 Cory Cats
7 Bloodfin Tetra
7 Serpae Tetra
7 Black Skirt Tetra or Raspbora

Your 55 G

Hello Tal...

You're fortunate your fish didn't have problems with the trace of ammonia in the water. Even a trace is enough to stress your fish and allow parasites cause problems for your fish. By removing and replacing half the tank water every week, there's no time for toxins to build up, before the next large water change.

Heavy filtration is no substitute for large, frequent water changes. The filters just take in toxic water and replace it with water that's a bit less toxic.

B

The hifin is going to my friends 180 african cichlid tank once he hits 8- 10 inches. Right now, hes only about 6 or 7 inches.

I think the only reason I had a small issue last time (the "spike" was about two months ago) was there had been a dead and rotting bit of plant that was caught under a piece of driftwood. It was absolute brown mush by the time I got to it.

I do not expect that the filter will do the work. I never have. Like I said.... I do weekly 50% water changes.

Back
Top Bottom