Too Small for Both Breeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 3 gallon RCS breeding tank. For my next project I'm looking to breed CRS. I know you can mix the two, but would that be too small of a space for breeding both? My other options are a small Rubbermaid and a 55 gallon that would only be partially filled. What's my best option?

To me it would really depend on the quality of CRS you plan to keep.

The way to do it is to set up the tank for CRS and let the RCS acclimate to the parameters. The higher the quality Crystal Red Shrimp the more sensitive they are due to their breeding.

Personally if you are being serious about breeding I would do the two varieties sererately. If you are doing it to just see them breed for your own fun and satisfaction you may be able to pull that off.

What are the parameters of your tap to tank water presently?

To me it would really depend on the quality of CRS you plan to keep.

The way to do it is to set up the tank for CRS and let the RCS acclimate to the parameters. The higher the quality Crystal Red Shrimp the more sensitive they are due to their breeding.

Personally if you are being serious about breeding I would do the two varieties sererately. If you are doing it to just see them breed for your own fun and satisfaction you may be able to pull that off.

What are the parameters of your tap to tank water presently?

I'm planning to breed seriously with high grades. Out of tap all I know is it's 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. PH is around 7 I believe. So if keeping them separate is best, should I use the partially filled 55 or a storage bin? Either way I would be sure to use a heater and sponge filter as well as live plants.

Again, if it were me, I would get a little deal from the dollar per gallon sale at one of the box stores.

For a brand new tank that way after cleaning you can be sure no one used copper or other bad things in them. I would always test the tank with a couple Cherry shrimp culls as well (to make sure there hasn't been pesticides sprayed in the store or factory or tanker or whatever).

If they have a 15T that would be good or a 29G long (you don't really need on that big a 10 would also work, but if you got lots of shrimp breeding you might need a little more room as well as more room to accomodate tank errors), but I would use a glass tank so you can visually observe the growth, progress and any problems begin so you could fix them.

Watching the tank is critical if you don't already have experience with these more delicate and difficult to keep higher quality creatures.

Check out the PRL (Pure Red Line) on ebay.

Also consider one of the substrates that help lower the pH in the tank. They do leech ammonia and need to be set up running for a number of weeks probably 6 weeks, could be more. I am planning a PRL (maybe just nice CRS) tank in the fall/winter (swamped & too busy now). Make sure to post a link for your build thread here so I can follow how yours goes. :)

Again, if it were me, I would get a little deal from the dollar per gallon sale at one of the box stores.

For a brand new tank that way after cleaning you can be sure no one used copper or other bad things in them. I would always test the tank with a couple Cherry shrimp culls as well (to make sure there hasn't been pesticides sprayed in the store or factory or tanker or whatever).

If they have a 15T that would be good or a 29G long (you don't really need on that big a 10 would also work, but if you got lots of shrimp breeding you might need a little more room as well as more room to accomodate tank errors), but I would use a glass tank so you can visually observe the growth, progress and any problems begin so you could fix them.

Watching the tank is critical if you don't already have experience with these more delicate and difficult to keep higher quality creatures.

Check out the PRL (Pure Red Line) on ebay.

Also consider one of the substrates that help lower the pH in the tank. They do leech ammonia and need to be set up running for a number of weeks probably 6 weeks, could be more. I am planning a PRL (maybe just nice CRS) tank in the fall/winter (swamped & too busy now). Make sure to post a link for your build thread here so I can follow how yours goes. :)

That was a lot of great info! My issue is my mom doesn't really want anymore tanks in the house, so I'm trying to find a loop hole lol. I can probably convince her to get a small one, though. I'll look into the substrate as well. Thanks!

Edit: I've decided on different color morphs of neocaridina Davidi, but I'm not sure which color yet. I know i can't mix my cherries with them, but since they aren't as sensitive would I be ok with putting them in a big storage bin with a sponge filter and plants?

consider a double stand... one up and one down, takes up the same amout of space...

I have a double stand 55 with an empty 55 below, but I can only fill it partially. Could I just do that?

Sure you could do a great set up with rocks, plants and DW coming out above the waterline. Where there is a will, there is a way ;).

Alright that sounds awesome. Thanks for all the help.

your mom will only let you have so many tanks have you thought about selling the unwanted ones and make a few bucks , than replace them with maybe a 20 long that you could add a plexi-glass divider in the center and you can raise both in 1 tank in less space . and put a few bucks in your pocket at the same time .
you can't beat those dollar a gallon sales ,

on your 55g why can you only fill partially is it damaged if it is I wouldn't risk it leaking or even splitting open that could be messy ,

Last edited:
your mom will only let you have so many tanks have you thought about selling the unwanted ones and make a few bucks , than replace them with maybe a 20 long that you could add a plexi-glass divider in the center and you can raise both in 1 tank in less space . and put a few bucks in your pocket at the same time .
you can't beat those dollar a gallon sales ,

on your 55g why can you only fill partially is it damaged if it is I wouldn't risk it leaking or even splitting open that could be messy ,

That's a good idea and the center brace is broken so it can only hold around 35 gallons.

My lack of space, so I came up with this: each self has 4 feeding lines and 4x 5l bay. Top shelf isn't set up yet. Bare in mind these will be for breeding project, for spawning, and raising fry up to their 3-4 weeks then I'll regime them to 20l, after another month, they'll go to 60l and then to 250l for reaching their adulthood

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462194994.779891.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462194938.583728.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462194947.639528.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462194957.135952.jpg

And sump, which is divided, to house plants and some snails shrimps etc...
I have another 3 breeding tanks in my tv wall unit pic bellow

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462195232.032399.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for veering off of topic, but where in fish heavens do you find those dollar per gallon sales?

<g.m.t.a>

In the US, typically the big box stores run them at least once a year. Not sure about up north. :(
Perfect for facilitating a build like this one ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom