Too Tall Argentine Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So one of the first plants I got was a "tube" of argentine swords. Over the past year, one of them has reached the top of my 55g and is growing out of the water for a few months now. I've been cutting the stem at the base as it emerges, but I was wondering if there was a way to encourage it to stay lower and fill out more instead. Anyone know any tricks??

Hmm...not sure! I know my swords are always getting bushier and bushier, but it takes them longer to grow upwards. I'm just now getting shoots going to the surface! I have pretty high light tho, could be a factor. Plus they are right next to the CO2 diffuser so they are always pearling :)

Different types of swords have different growth habits. I've never kept Argentine Swords but from pic's I've seen of them they appear to have an upward growth pattern. You can't change that.

I agree with rivercats.
I planted a few sprigs of Argentine sword a few months ago and it has already outgrown my Amazon in height.
Argentine's on the left.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Yea, I figured as much. I was thinking maybe there would be some way of changing the lighting in that area, or more root tabs maybe, something that would encourage a different growth pattern.

Oh well. I'd hate to make the mess from uprooting it now, but its probably time to find a new home. If not, is it OK to cut it down and leave the root system intact in the substrate?

SuperBlueberry may I impose?

Rivercats, the message you sent had a link I needed to erase my inbox as I only have an android phone. I deleted it by accident. Could you send it again please?

You could try cutting it down like that but it might just regrow. If you use your fingers to get under the plant and gently wiggle it lose while gently lifting it you shouldn''t make too big a mess. I've done this with huge crypts in my dirted 220g and it wasn't too bad.

SuperBlueberry may I impose?

Rivercats, the message you sent had a link I needed to erase my inbox as I only have an android phone. I deleted it by accident. Could you send it again please?

EDIT: got though to inbox, sorry OP

I would recommend trimming down 1/3rd leaves every 2-3 weeks and increasing your light just a little bit maybe adding a clip on or desk CFL daylight 6500 /6700K light just for that spot.

Wacking off plants completely can be too damaging and shock the plant especially if you accidently cut into the crown, middle area where the new growth comes from. I know some people do it but it isn't the best thing for the plant, imho.

Back
Top Bottom