Took the plunge, opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madaboutshrimp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I made a trip to the LFS yesterday for the very first time hoping they'd have the 'perfect' gravel to fill my 20g tank(didn't know they even existed until Petco recommended them). While there I fell in love with the live plants in their tanks. I've been scared to attempt live plants but took the plunge anyhow. I've got an LED light system, so the LFS recommended some low light dummy-proof plants, Java Fern and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. I don't get much, if any, daylight. I mean the tank isn't in total darkness or anything but the windows the tank sits between face the Southeast and are pretty well shaded by Cedar trees.

Am I just asking for trouble with this? I'm not very experienced in aquariums but I've been reading articles online but I'm still concerned. I'd actually like a bit more variety in the tank if I can get away with it but I have no idea what to put in there that would basically do perfectly well with poor lighting and are idiot-proof(extremely hardy).

Also, it's a new tank so there are no fish. Do I need to supplement CO2? If so how do I do that without having to purchase more equipment?

I'll take any suggestions, critique, comments I can get. Thanks :D

I made a trip to the LFS yesterday for the very first time hoping they'd have the 'perfect' gravel to fill my 20g tank(didn't know they even existed until Petco recommended them). While there I fell in love with the live plants in their tanks. I've been scared to attempt live plants but took the plunge anyhow. I've got an LED light system, so the LFS recommended some low light dummy-proof plants, Java Fern and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. I don't get much, if any, daylight. I mean the tank isn't in total darkness or anything but the windows the tank sits between face the Southeast and are pretty well shaded by Cedar trees.

Am I just asking for trouble with this? I'm not very experienced in aquariums but I've been reading articles online but I'm still concerned. I'd actually like a bit more variety in the tank if I can get away with it but I have no idea what to put in there that would basically do perfectly well with poor lighting and are idiot-proof(extremely hardy).

Also, it's a new tank so there are no fish. Do I need to supplement CO2? If so how do I do that without having to purchase more equipment?

I'll take any suggestions, critique, comments I can get. Thanks :D

Sounds like a good choice in plants and as long as you stay with low light, you don't need to add a co2 system or ferts. I'll warn you though that Petco/Petsmart are notorious for selling non-aquatic plants, so be careful and do your research. Plantgeek.net is a great resource for plant selection, just look in low light plants and you'll find a wide selection to choose from.

Happy planting, love my greens and so do my fish :D.

Sounds like a good choice in plants and as long as you stay with low light, you don't need to add a co2 system or ferts. I'll warn you though that Petco/Petsmart are notorious for selling non-aquatic plants, so be careful and do your research. Plantgeek.net is a great resource for plant selection, just look in low light plants and you'll find a wide selection to choose from.

Happy planting, love my greens and so do my fish :D.

I actually called Petco asking about specific gravel that I wanted for my tank. When they didn't have it they recommended a LPS which ended up being completely awesome. Everyone there have been fish hobbyists for 10+ years each and are extremely knowledgeable, plus they didn't try and sell me anything just to sell it you know? They were the ones who recommended the plants and I purchased from them. The plants were straight out of their tanks so I know the plants are intended for aquariums.

Are there any other low light plants that would work? I've been doing some research into them but I've gotten so much conflicting information it's hard to tell what's truth and what's not. Seems like you guys here know what you're talking about though so I trust your opinion over a random blogger on the net.

I actually called Petco asking about specific gravel that I wanted for my tank. When they didn't have it they recommended a LPS which ended up being completely awesome. Everyone there have been fish hobbyists for 10+ years each and are extremely knowledgeable, plus they didn't try and sell me anything just to sell it you know? They were the ones who recommended the plants and I purchased from them. The plants were straight out of their tanks so I know the plants are intended for aquariums.

Are there any other low light plants that would work? I've been doing some research into them but I've gotten so much conflicting information it's hard to tell what's truth and what's not. Seems like you guys here know what you're talking about though so I trust your opinion over a random blogger on the net.

Oh, my bad:p. I thought you got them from Petco.

Other plants to check out for low light are Anacharis, Anubias, Java Moss. Plantgeek.net has them listed by backdrop, mid, front and most with pics so you'll have more to choose from than tank space to put them lol.

One place I found for a decent aqua plant selection is Walmart of all places ;). I just recommend that you QT them for 10 days in full tap water to be sure they're free of any bugs.

Oh, my bad:p. I thought you got them from Petco.

Other plants to check out for low light are Anacharis, Anubias, Java Moss. Plantgeek.net has them listed by backdrop, mid, front and most with pics so you'll have more to choose from than tank space to put them lol.

One place I found for a decent aqua plant selection is Walmart of all places ;). I just recommend that you QT them for 10 days in full tap water to be sure they're free of any bugs.

I've definitely been looking into Anubias and Java Moss. I just purchased a rather large piece of Driftwood for the tank and am thinking the Anubias would be perfect. I'm on the fence about the Moss though. I've heard it gets rather unruly, even when pruned frequently and I don't want it anywhere near my driftwood because from what I've read, they'll grow so heavily over those that you basically have to remove the driftwood from the tank. If I add the moss to the tank I'm thinking of attaching it to some sort of floating object with monofilament and letting it hang upside down...just not sure what sort of object to use.

I LOVE the Anacharis but I've heard such conflicting opinions on light level that I was afraid to purchase any. I've heard low light but also that they need high light. I'd love to have some for height in the back of the tank.

I'll definitely check out that website. Thanks!

Scared to death of Walmart plants...they don't take very good care of anything living there, including fish so I just can't imagine putting something of theirs in one of my tanks!

I've definitely been looking into Anubias and Java Moss. I just purchased a rather large piece of Driftwood for the tank and am thinking the Anubias would be perfect. I'm on the fence about the Moss though. I've heard it gets rather unruly, even when pruned frequently and I don't want it anywhere near my driftwood because from what I've read, they'll grow so heavily over those that you basically have to remove the driftwood from the tank. If I add the moss to the tank I'm thinking of attaching it to some sort of floating object with monofilament and letting it hang upside down...just not sure what sort of object to use.

I LOVE the Anacharis but I've heard such conflicting opinions on light level that I was afraid to purchase any. I've heard low light but also that they need high light. I'd love to have some for height in the back of the tank.

I'll definitely check out that website. Thanks!

Scared to death of Walmart plants...they don't take very good care of anything living there, including fish so I just can't imagine putting something of theirs in one of my tanks!

Jave Fern attached to DW looks great and one of my faves. Java moss is also some thing I like on my DW and don't have any issue with it getting over grown. If your DW is new, I'd suggest soaking it in a bucket of water with daily water changes, other wise there's a very good chance it'll turn you tank water into "tea water". One thing you can do with java moss, is take a rock, small clay pot (whatever you like) put a layer of moss on it and tie a hair net over it, soon the moss will attach to the item grow and it looks really cool.

Whoever told you Anacharis needs high lights was totally mistaken or thinking of another plant. You can float or plant it and from my experience, it practically grows in the dark lol. Some fish love it, like my Black Moors and it's so cheap that after they tear up a bundle of it, I can toss it and get more.

Yeah, Walmart in general scares me, but I was surprised that they had actual aquatic plants that looked good (not all, but the ones I got are) and they're growing really well in one of my tanks, unlike my local Petco that carries mainly non-aquatic plants that cost 1/2 again as much

Jave Fern attached to DW looks great and one of my faves. Java moss is also some thing I like on my DW and don't have any issue with it getting over grown. If your DW is new, I'd suggest soaking it in a bucket of water with daily water changes, other wise there's a very good chance it'll turn you tank water into "tea water". One thing you can do with java moss, is take a rock, small clay pot (whatever you like) put a layer of moss on it and tie a hair net over it, soon the moss will attach to the item grow and it looks really cool.

Whoever told you Anacharis needs high lights was totally mistaken or thinking of another plant. You can float or plant it and from my experience, it practically grows in the dark lol. Some fish love it, like my Black Moors and it's so cheap that after they tear up a bundle of it, I can toss it and get more.

Yeah, Walmart in general scares me, but I was surprised that they had actual aquatic plants that looked good (not all, but the ones I got are) and they're growing really well in one of my tanks, unlike my local Petco that carries mainly non-aquatic plants that cost 1/2 again as much

I did a quick rinse on the DW yesterday evening then placed it in my tank and the tank is still crystal clear almost a day later. It should have already started turning the water colors by now shouldn't it?

I placed a sandstone boulder thingy in the tank at the same time as the DW and now I've noticed a spike in the PH, nothing too significant but still notable. It went from 7.6 to 8.2 though now that I'm thinking of it the 7.6 reading was post conditioner(Seachem Neutral Regulator) and the 8.2 was done before I added more(the high reading prompted me to add more). Is this something I'm going to have to do daily to maintain ph? I was originally thinking the higher spike might have something to do with the decor additions but I guess it was probably not the case.

I read that about the Anacharis on some website which claimed to know a little something about aquarium plants...the high light thing seemed weird to me at the time because every other article I read said low to mid light but I made note of it so when I made a trip back to the LPS I could ask. I'm DEFINITELY getting some of that. I absolutely love it. I'll probably go ahead and get Java moss as well and plant it on the DW...it's pretty large and in charge and a little moss would look pretty cool on top. If it ends up going haywire I'll deal with it at that point.

I bought a couple of rose bushes from Walmart a few years ago and they've done really well so I shouldn't badmouth them so much but they ARE notorious for abusing their poor animals/plants. I always used this method when buying flowers there: Pick the plants that look the best because if Walmart can't kill them, then neither can I!

I haven't really purchased aquarium items at Petco. I called them about the gravel I wanted because they sold it online so I was hoping to find it in store. I've used Petsmart a couple of times and the 2 people there seemed to know quite a bit more than the average minimum wage employee but nothing compared to the LPS I've been using since. They've been as priceless as this forum has and it's helped my confidence(and knowledge) immensely thus far. Now, as long as my plants don't start dying off I think I'll make it okay:).

Now, I don't have any fish in the new aquarium so do I need to add nutrients for the plants? I also haven't added anything besides the seachems and tetra safe start stuff...do I need to add anything else or just sit and wait it out?

I did a quick rinse on the DW yesterday evening then placed it in my tank and the tank is still crystal clear almost a day later. It should have already started turning the water colors by now shouldn't it?

I placed a sandstone boulder thingy in the tank at the same time as the DW and now I've noticed a spike in the PH, nothing too significant but still notable. It went from 7.6 to 8.2 though now that I'm thinking of it the 7.6 reading was post conditioner(Seachem Neutral Regulator) and the 8.2 was done before I added more(the high reading prompted me to add more). Is this something I'm going to have to do daily to maintain ph? I was originally thinking the higher spike might have something to do with the decor additions but I guess it was probably not the case.

I read that about the Anacharis on some website which claimed to know a little something about aquarium plants...the high light thing seemed weird to me at the time because every other article I read said low to mid light but I made note of it so when I made a trip back to the LPS I could ask. I'm DEFINITELY getting some of that. I absolutely love it. I'll probably go ahead and get Java moss as well and plant it on the DW...it's pretty large and in charge and a little moss would look pretty cool on top. If it ends up going haywire I'll deal with it at that point.

I bought a couple of rose bushes from Walmart a few years ago and they've done really well so I shouldn't badmouth them so much but they ARE notorious for abusing their poor animals/plants. I always used this method when buying flowers there: Pick the plants that look the best because if Walmart can't kill them, then neither can I!

I haven't really purchased aquarium items at Petco. I called them about the gravel I wanted because they sold it online so I was hoping to find it in store. I've used Petsmart a couple of times and the 2 people there seemed to know quite a bit more than the average minimum wage employee but nothing compared to the LPS I've been using since. They've been as priceless as this forum has and it's helped my confidence(and knowledge) immensely thus far. Now, as long as my plants don't start dying off I think I'll make it okay:).

Now, I don't have any fish in the new aquarium so do I need to add nutrients for the plants? I also haven't added anything besides the seachems and tetra safe start stuff...do I need to add anything else or just sit and wait it out?

I soaked some DW for over a week and a few days after putting it in I got tea water, but the tank is cycling so i don't really care.

Sandstone will raise your pH and is one of those things most people don't recommend unless you have fish that need higher pH. I'd suggest you remove it, but as long as you don't get huge swings in the pH level it may be OK.

I agree about Walmart fish, I'd never give them a cent for one and like you said, If wally can't kill them, they must be pretty hardy lol.

Get a liquid test kit is my only recommendation so you can monitor the water parameters during your cycle. Low light plants should be ok during the cycle, but an occasional PWC will add nutrients to the water for the plants. You might want to look over the link below to help you cycle.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Ok thanks. I'll definitely be taking that out today. If we end up with fish that like it I can put it back in at that point.

I've got the API master test kit I've been using. I've heard that's the best. I notice a lot of people who do the fishless cycle adding ammonia. I don't want to do that at all but am afraid what I'm doing isn't enough. Is there an alternative that doesn't require adding a fish?

Ok thanks. I'll definitely be taking that out today. If we end up with fish that like it I can put it back in at that point.

I've got the API master test kit I've been using. I've heard that's the best. I notice a lot of people who do the fishless cycle adding ammonia. I don't want to do that at all but am afraid what I'm doing isn't enough. Is there an alternative that doesn't require adding a fish?

Yep, raw shrimp or fish food (flakes work best) in a stocking or fine mesh bag (well washed, no soap) works too. That link I posted tells you more about it too.

Sandstone will raise your pH and is one of those things most people don't recommend unless you have fish that need higher pH. I'd suggest you remove it, but as long as you don't get huge swings in the pH level it may be OK.

Think it depends on where you're getting your sandstone from. I've been using sandstone for years and never had it affect pH, but from other parts of the country it may be an issue. I would recommend placing some in a container of water with a powerhead and testing the water over a weeks time to see if/how it affects pH.

Wy Renegade said:
Think it depends on where you're getting your sandstone from. I've been using sandstone for years and never had it affect pH, but from other parts of the country it may be an issue. I would recommend placing some in a container of water with a powerhead and testing the water over a weeks time to see if/how it affects pH.

Humm... Always been told that sandstone will raise it, but that's good info to have. Since to OP did put it in and a saw hefty jump in their pH, I'd say it is of the type that does raise it.

That's a great idea. My daughter picked it out so I'd like to have it there if it won't affect ph.

Um...what's a powerhead?

Last edited:
madaboutshrimp said:
That's a great idea. My daughter picked it out so I'd like to have it there if it won't affect ph.

Um...what's a powerhead?

I've heard you can use vinegarto test it. Put some on the rock and if it bubbles, it's not good for your tank. But since your daughter got it for you it may be worth using (my daughters the same way lol).

Mr. Limpet said:
I've heard you can use vinegarto test it. Put some on the rock and if it bubbles, it's not good for your tank. But since your daughter got it for you it may be worth using (my daughters the same way lol).

Technically the fish tank is hers lol.

That would indeed work if it is aragonite or limestone based sandstone. If it is some other type of sand, it won't react with the vinegar, but could still change pH.

Wet Pets is an awesome place. I will usually make a trip or two down there every month to get new plants/fish or just look around. Worth the hour and a half drive though. They really know their stuff.

Wet Pets is an awesome place. I will usually make a trip or two down there every month to get new plants/fish or just look around. Worth the hour and a half drive though. They really know their stuff.

That's where I've been going, now daily it seems(twice yesterday:facepalm:). I can't stop myself. I'm pretty much addicted and it doesn't help that they literally have the most beautiful array of tanks and fish I've ever seen...definitely puts the petsmartco's to shame!

Back
Top Bottom