Top Fin or Aqueon heaters? Which should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Current heater not working. Got it for free so no surprise even though it supposedly came right out of another heated tank. In any event, which is the better option between top fin and aqueon heaters? Cannot remember which one, but one says 200 watts is good up to 75 gallons (my tank is 60 gallons) and another one shows I would need to go with a 300 watt heater. Their price differences are negligible so it is too difficult to go with the obvious get what you pay for logic. Petsmart is having a sale on these brands and they are going for around $30 give or take. Also, if there is another option not listed or reasons why I should steer clear of either one or both please opine in that regard.

I've never used either brand. But I can say from buying a new heater (eheim jager) each brand varies as far as what wattage you will need.

Ive got 2 aqueon heaters. I like them. Both 300 watt. One the indusructible one the other is a standard one. The standard one had for about 3 years and it stoped working i emailed thier customer service dept explaining the issue and they replaced it no charge mailed it right to me. Didnt even want the old one. The replacment been working good too.

Re:

I have Aqueon heaters and they are actually too much heat for my tanks. So I believe they make a good aquarium heater. I just replaced a Top Fin heater that I only had for a month and a half. So I would stay away from Top Fin.

I have both brands as well as a couple other brands & I've had no problems with any of them. I will say however I have an Aqueon 150W I believe it is in my 46g & worked Greta until I switched from an HOB filter to a canister filter. The Aqueon couldn't keep the tank at the right temp so I had to purchase a 2nd heater, Eheim Jäger, for the tank.

I prefer Hydor. Stay away from Marineland as they have had recalls before. I don't care for Topfin and I do own an Aqueon and it works just fine. I also have an Aquatop heater that can be found at LFS and on ebay etc and I like it. Its a newer company and its relatively cheap in my opinion. So far so good with that one.

I had a top fin that came in a kit. Worked for a week and then the thermostat broke on it and it never shut off. Walked by the tank one day and it was so warm could feel the heat radiating from it (was around 98 degrees). Thankfully was fish less cycling so it didn't do any harm.

Currently I have 3 different wattage aqueon heaters in 3 different tanks. Two are over 2 years old and still work great. They might be off a degree or two but its easy to adjust to the right temp because they hold temperature pretty constant.

I had a eheim jager for a while, but traded it in for an aqueon pro heater because it wasn't glass. Both kept my temperature at my desired 78.

Ok..might get some feedback for this but I purchased a Finnex digital heater, model HPS-200. Works great in my 55 gallon and I love the fact that you can see the temp reading. Keeps my tank within 1 degree.. I have heard some bad reviews on this heater but the company says that this is a new re-designed model. So far it works perfectly. You might want to look into this one also...

Back
Top Bottom