Top five freshwater/brackish predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanna hear everyones opinions! They can be fish you have owned or fish you wish to own. Explain why you love them or want them! I'll go first:

1. Polypterus (bichirs) : underrated fish. Quirky to the extreme. I have owned 7. 3 delhezi, 1 senegalus, 1 ornate, 1 enlicheri and 1 teugelsi.
2. Butis butis (crazy fish) : a fish I reeeeeally want. Brackish and really fun to watch.
3. Rainbow snakehead (dwarf channa) : a beautiful predator...too bad they are illegal where I live.
4. Exodons : such awesome little pack predators. Watching a pack of ten or more destroy prawn is a sight.
5. Toadfish (of the grunting variety) : sulking ambush predators. Not very active but have a great amount of personality.

1. Fire eel - I've only had mine for less than a week but I absolutely love it. I had a peacock eel before that. I love that you can train them to be hand fed.
2. Spotted leaf fish (leopard ctenopoma) - these guys are really cute with their big eyes and huge mouths, they like to "yawn" sometimes and are ambush predators. I feed mine ghost shrimp and love to watch them hunt.
3. Dwarf puffers - also very cute, they have a quirky way of swimming with their tailfins bent to one side.
4. Piranhas
5. Arowanas
The last 2 I haven't owned but would like to, I might get an arowana when I get a 100+ gal tank.

I ahev noticed in general that predators seem much smarter (able to learn faster) and are more inquisitive than herbivores, have other people here experienced or think the same?

1. Silver arrowana, never owned one but this is one of my dream fish would love one of these in a 800 gal tank with bout 6 oscars full size adults for company( my dream tank)
2. Red bellied piranha, in frenzy they are eating machines.
3. Malawi eye biter, this is a favourite of mine due to the fact that it has evolved to bite the eyes out of it's prey before attacking
them and making escape almost impossible,
and people say fish are stupid yeah right.
4. Siamese tiger fish, a big and beautiful fish.
5. Bulldozer stingray, I love rays but would never keep one, the water chemistry has to be perfect 24/7. They are a truly amazing predator

1. Redtail catfish - They look awesome, but they get way too big for me and my grocery budget.
2. Snakehead - Too bad they're illegal
3. Archerfish - They actually shoot their prey!
4. Silver arowana - A fish that can catch a bird is cool in my book.
5. Northern Pike - Intimidating ambush predator with sweet camouflage.

1. i would also say northern pike i love the freshwater preditors
2. shovel nose cat there awesome but get way to big

1.a Redtail catfish- they are awsome looking but i dont have the room for a tank that could support one properly

2. a Snake Head- just because lol have you seen one of thoes things there bad

3.- Black asian upside down catfish- i have one, they are so pritty and dont spend the day hiding but the one i have is starting to become to large for my tank so im looking for a new home for him

4. Pickeral- a freind of mine has two and they are a stalking machine,

5. Gar- i just think they look neet and would be fun to have so i could watch it attack

Had red tail cat 10 years ago. Grew him to 2 1/2 feet long. What a monster eater. Donated him to the new York aquarium. Great fish.. He would eat 6 inch goldfish.h right from my hand

Arapaima
Snakehead
Dovii
Goliath tiger (GATF)
Giant FW stingray

1.) leaf fish
2.) archer fish
3.) loaches
4.) FW stingray
5.) Utricularia Grammifolia (not a fish but still a predator)

I like animals that have interesting modes of consumption.

Arapaima
Snakehead
Dovii
Goliath tiger (GATF)
Giant FW stingray

These are monsters! Cool! I really like the GATF, I am curious.....have you kept any of these HN1??

These are monsters! Cool! I really like the GATF, I am curious.....have you kept any of these HN1??

No. The Ga aquarium (I used to volunteer a lot of hours) had an arapaima until they started construction for the dolphin exhibit. Monster fish / predators really aren't my thing although they are incredible creatures. Give me a 4000G tank and I'd at least entertain the thought of putting a couple schools of 1000 tetra and 1000 cories in it. Along with the discus, apistos, and angels of course. ;)

In no order:
Black ghost knife fish
Polypteridae
Firemouth
Oscar
Red tail cat

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

1) Arowanas

2) Managuense (jaguar) cichlid

3) Piranha

4) Lionfish (P. volitans)

5) Sharks (Mainly great whites and tigers. I would so own my own version of Seaworld if I could)

1) Arowanas

2) Managuense (jaguar) cichlid

3) Piranha

4) Lionfish (P. volitans)

5) Sharks (Mainly great whites and tigers. I would so own my own version of Seaworld if I could)

Not really FW. If it's opened up... the top 5 predators are us, us, us, us. us.

Back
Top Bottom