Top Quality Reef Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What light to use

• Kessil A360w E-series Tuna Blue(or updated version)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Different Kessil

• Chinese LED

• T5 HO

• Metal Halide

• Total voters

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS has a Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue on their 120 reef. My dad and I really like the way it looks above the tank and love the effect if gives on the water.

I wanted to get a general consensus on lighting to try and narrow down my research. I won't have any corals for at least 6 months, but I like to plan ahead...

Kessil lights Are some of the best in the hobby. Really nice spectrum and I've never seen another led that blends the colors together as well as kessil does.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This would be for when my 75 gets switched to a reef.

It's in my living room so the lighting has to be presentable and it can't hang from the ceiling (no joists above the tank)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Radions have tank mounts. Most of the higher end units do now. I recently got a AI Hydra for a friend with nice mounting hardware. He's got a single Hydra 52(also an excellent choice) over his 93 cube. It's really sharp.
If you are planning on mounting whatever you buy to the tank, you will need 2 units. A 4" rectangular tank isn't going to look good with a single fixture over it.
I would knock Halides and T5s off of that list as they are energy thirsty and inefficient. The Taotronics or similar panels are basically for bargain shoppers- they will do the job, but they aren't even close to "the best" in looks or quality.

Last edited:
The kessils have gooseneck fixtures which look acceptable. They don't bother me really. Just the wiring but that's my that hard to make not look ugly

Talked with my dad about this and he wanted to know if the kessils and radions would grow or sustain corals.

I think I can deal with the wiring. My current light is a grow fixture sitting on 2×4s. That is what I call ugly

Lol yes both will grow sps and clams.

Ok thanks. I thought they would when I saw 1100 max par.

Lights are expensive...seems like I am looking at ~$1,000 for the kessils, radions, t5s, or MH.
Going to look into taotronics next. Hopefully those will be more reasonable.

They are..100 bucks a piece shipped, and you can grow whatever you want, wherever you want.....only, without the bells and whistles.

Where can you order them from? I checked amazon and they don't carry them and eBay just has used ones that don't work 100%

Back
Top Bottom