Top trim salt creep/leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumberjack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, i have had this set up for a while now, and just recently (2 days ago) this started to show up out of the blue in smack dab center of my display. It is coming from evaporated water settling in the trim. Is there any way I could stop this leak or salt creep without disassembling my entire aquarium? In the second pic you can actually see where it's settling.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441852260.939353.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441852284.047834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I get streaks like that if I'm working on my tank as my arm drips after taking it out ,
but if you are getting it from the top lip you probably have the tank to full , I keep my tank full to the top band but it"s kept about 3/4 of a inch away from the the very top

60069-albums10662-picture69237.jpg

60069-albums10662-picture69236.jpg

as you can see in pict 2 there' s about 3/4 of inch to the top of the band I usually run a bead of silicone around the inner tip lip but when I got this tank I forgot to do it , but keeping it about 3/4 inch below seems to work I also clean my tank weekly with salt creep eliminator and it never gets salt creep, just lots of dust as I'm on a dirt road

I have zero experience with this, so this is merely a thought, take it with a grain of salt.

I feel like you could take a qtip and precisely apply some Vaseline/petroleum jelly along the outer trim where it stops and the glass begins. Seems like it could possibly collect anything seeping.

Again, just a thought. Zero experience with salt creep, or saltwater in general.

I have zero experience with this, so this is merely a thought, take it with a grain of salt.

I feel like you could take a qtip and precisely apply some Vaseline/petroleum jelly along the outer trim where it stops and the glass begins. Seems like it could possibly collect anything seeping.

Again, just a thought. Zero experience with salt creep, or saltwater in general.

you don't want any petroleum type products around your tank for 1 it leaves oil slicks if it gets in water , also when your cleaning if you get that crud on on your rag , smearing it all over glass , no matter how much you clean the glass that residue remains

I've always used 100% petroleum jelly (non medicated/non scented) on O-rings and a few other things without ever having oil slicks, and I have easily gotten it off glass before when working on cars. I can see where you're coming from though, but with care I don't see these problems happening if used carefully and precisely

Jesse

Could I in theory lower the water level and conservatively add a small bead of 100% ge1 silicone under the trim on the inside or outside without emptying the aquarium/killing the stock?

Dabbed the smallest bit of hot glue in the center where the drip occurs hope this works. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441933949.546837.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441936710.467548.jpg all 12 of my fish are hiding lol just fixed that drip, did a water change, cleaned the filters and changed the media.

Back
Top Bottom