Top water fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some nice species that are top-mid only/usually. Oddball or colorful. I have a 10 gallon planted tank with tons of available room.

Clown killis are super cool but supposedly can be delicate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

While they aren't very active, the tank is too small for butterfly fish. In too small of a tank they have a tendency to be jumpy.

butterfly fish

I was looking at those! Their fascinating fish, but like aquaholic said I think a 10 gallon may be too small. Seems to be too small for most species. I'll upgrade when I get a handle for what I'm doing though

I think so far I'm liking the look of those rainbows the best. I'll need to do some research first though

Hatchet fish are strictly surface swimmers. Also can be jumpy, but interesting and don't look like other fish. A few forms, marble, silver, maybe one or two others.

Hatchet fish are strictly surface swimmers. Also can be jumpy, but interesting and don't look like other fish. A few forms, marble, silver, maybe one or two others.

They do have an odd body shape! I love the look of them. I'm debating between some hatchets or some rainbows. Luckily I have a while to figure it out, as my tank is still cycling!

Honestly neither hatchets nor rainbows are appropriate for a 10 gallon, IMO.

Beg to differ at least on the rainbows. Some of the dwarf blue eyed varieties like Gertrudaes max out at 1.5 inches long and their activity does not seem inappropriate for a 20 inch tank. Extra care does need to be taken to keep the water clean though.

I'm with you on the hatchets.

Yeah there are some small pseudomugils species. If you can obtain them, then great. But the list of rainbows that don't belong in a 10 is a LOT longer than those that do. It's important to make that distinction between the pseudos and all the rest of the rainbows.

Oops, I missed the 10G part. No, hatchets would not suit so small a tank. In smaller tanks, I prefer to go with very tiny fish species. Not a ton of choices, but you can have quite a few of the very tiny species even in a 10. Strawberry rasbora is one I'm quite fond of. Mid level though, not surface.

Rainbows, hatchets and butterfly fish are all cool fish, but if your looking for something that's unique I'd look into halfbeaks. They hug the surface and look spectacular in a group.

I'm not sure which species is more readily avialable either Celebes or Wrestling Halfbeaks. So you may have to do a little more research on that. They have a silvery body with red accented fins and makes them look pretty sweet. Very hardy once you acclimate them correctly. Do well in low and high pH's up to 8.0 so a good choice if you have hard well water like me.

They tend to be a little pushy towards the females so I'd recommend 3 females to every one male. I'm not sure on the availability of them in your area but they're a fish I would certainly consider if I were you.

EDIT: Just realized you have a 10 gallon. Get a bigger tank.

I will for sure look into the rainbow species. Bummed about the hatchets, but maybe one day I'll get some when I upgrade. I just need to get the hang of things with this 10 gallon first. Any other suggestions?

I have a small school of golden white clouds that I love, they stay near the top almost always. Might be nice for your 10 gallon

A betta might work out or some glofish tetras

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please don't do danios or tetras in a ten, they are way too active. If you want a school, CPDs are cool

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom