Topless 75g African tank and maintaning heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank. With a wooden canopy on top. No glass. I have a 48" solar extreme T5 HO 4 light fixture also. I'm having issues maintaining my 78 degrees I've kept in the tank. I love the tank without the glass!

The lights shine brighter and the ease of feeding and cleaning, water changes etc is awesome. No more cleaning the glass everyother day.

I know a lot of members have topless tanks. What do you do to maintain the correct temp?

I have the AP 250 watt. Maybe a bigger heater?

Also to add. Heater is always on for the most part. I feel like its working double time. So would a bigger heater or another heater work?

If I added a second heater and had both set to 78 would that work? One on each side?

I'm running close to a 1000g worth of tanks all without lids, when choosing a heater shoot for around 5w per gallon. I use and recommend nothing but Eheim Jagers.

HUKIT said:
I'm running close to a 1000g worth of tanks all without lids, when choosing a heater shoot for around 5w per gallon. I use and recommend nothing but Eheim Jagers.

Thanks I will look into those online right now.

EDIT;

According to the 5 watts per gallon I'd need the 300 watt heater is that correct? My math gave me 375 so that would be there 300 watt model. That's as high as it goes. The read up on them are amazing and 5 stars across the board. Sounds like a really great heater.

Maybe this will solve my problem. I'm not really feeling the idea of going back to the glass tops.

Last edited:
I run 2 Visi Therm heaters in my 143g With no problems.I used them in my tanks before that.They also come with a Heat shield and I would highly recommend them.

garfy said:
I run 2 Visi Therm heaters in my 143g With no problems.I used them in my tanks before that.They also come with a Heat shield and I would highly recommend them.

I will look into those as well. Thanks for the input.

I go topless! I also have 800w of heaters to make sure my tank sits right at 82 degrees. Well. It was 800w, I pulled one out last night to put in my new peacock tank.

Personally, I would run two heaters, maybe two 200w. If one goes bad, then you water will not chill and if on stays on all the time, you will not boil your fish.

Aspencer said:
Personally, I would run two heaters, maybe two 200w. If one goes bad, then you water will not chill and if on stays on all the time, you will not boil your fish.

Agreed. Plus it will keep more even heat in your tank.

I'm running my 75g geo tank with no tops and a single 300watt Hydor inline heater. Tank stays a constant 78 even in my cold basement near the exterior door.

Edit: I had a 250w visitherm in the 75g when I first set it up and had pretty consistent temps. Nothing like the inline though, it would fluctuate a little from side to side.

Back
Top Bottom