Topping up substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the months, due to water changes and vacuuming, my aquarium sand is thin in places. I'm wanting to add more but how do I do this? Do I keep the fish in? I don't have another tank to move them into. Any suggestions? Thanks

Yeah, if you're just filling in spots, rinse the sand pretty well, turn off filter, and drop in small amounts into the area that needs it. Good luck!

Hope I helped!

danielt said:
Over the months, due to water changes and vacuuming, my aquarium sand is thin in places. I'm wanting to add more but how do I do this? Do I keep the fish in? I don't have another tank to move them into. Any suggestions? Thanks

What kind of sand is it? I have black sand and because it's particles are so small, they get sucked up every time I gravel vacuum.

The way that I add sand to a existing aquarium with fish is to wash the sand thoroughly, than scoop it up with a cup or bowl. Than lower it into your tank slowly letting the bowl or cup fill with water. Once it's filled you could pour out the sand once it gets to the bottom. Wish you luck

Keao_m said:
The way that I add sand to a existing aquarium with fish is to wash the sand thoroughly, than scoop it up with a cup or bowl. Than lower it into your tank slowly letting the bowl or cup fill with water. Once it's filled you could pour out the sand once it gets to the bottom. Wish you luck

+ 1 thats how I do it. An easy way to was it is to dumb it into a big bucket, shove the end of a hose deep into the sand, and then connect the other end to a faucet or spigot. Turn on the water and the sand will tumble around, and the dirt particles will over flow out the top with the water

Thank you, helped a lot. I'm going to do it at the weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom