Torch coral deflated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugpops

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alrighty, here's another one of my problems... xD i just purchased a kinda small torch coral about 1 ago, and at first it was beautiful! all the tentacles were stretched out and flowing! (i took a pic on 7-30). but now, as you can almost see, there are like 3 branches on the coral, and one of the branches tentacles look "deflated" or "shrinking" almost (on the picture on 8-2). the coral has a medium to high flow on it, and high lighting. my water pH, kH, temp, calcium, salinity, etc., is fine for the coral. is it dying?

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 220
No, it's fine. Most likely just acclimating. But that does not look like a torch. Looks a lot like a hammer or frogspawn. Can't really tell because the picture doesn't capture the shape of the polyps very well. Are thy like circles or are they bent? If they're circular it's a frogspawn. Bent it's a hammer. Def not a torch tho. Edit: I'm leaning towards hammer. Some have more circular polyps like yours. I think that's what it is.

You can try to target feed it some thawed mysis or brine shrimp at night about twice a week. It may do better under a little less flow. High flow can sometimes make them retract after a while.

crister13 said:
No, it's fine. Most likely just acclimating. But that does not look like a torch. Looks a lot like a hammer or frogspawn. Can't really tell because the picture doesn't capture the shape of the polyps very well. Are thy like circles or are they bent? If they're circular it's a frogspawn. Bent it's a hammer. Def not a torch tho. Edit: I'm leaning towards hammer. Some have more circular polyps like yours. I think that's what it is.

I agree with crister. Acclimating is your best bet, and even so, it still looks great.

And its a Hammer.

oh my gosh thank you! the guy at my local satwater store just said it was a torch when he picked it up, but in my head i was thinking it was something else like a hammer or frogspawn! and i will turn down the flow a little bit :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom