Torch Coral, Frogspawn, and mushrooms close together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace_242

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently got my hands on a bunch of live rock from a friend who was selling her tank. It's pretty much all covered in mushrooms and I'm wanting to move my torch coral and frogspawn out of the substrate and up on the rocks since almost all of my corals are in the substrate and the rocks are bare aside from my mushrooms and zoas.

Problem is that there is almost nowhere to put the frogspawn and torch coral on the live rock that isn't close to mushrooms. I wasn't sure if the mushrooms would be strong enough to harm them or vice versa. I have so many mushrooms in the tank I wouldn't mind at all if the other corals killed off any close to where they were placed, I just don't want the mushrooms to harm my torch coral and frogspawn.

I also have a couple places picked out where there are holes in the live rock that the skeleton base of the frogspawn and torch would both fit into nicely without the soft upper portions touching any rock, but the sweeper tentacles would likely touch some of the live rock in the area when fully extended. Does anyone see a problem with that?

The torch and frogspawn should not be down on the substrate anyway. It might get sand in the fleshy area and irritate it. Better to be up on the LR IMO.

They both have fairly long stalks so thus far the substrate hasn't touched the fleshy part but I'll move them for sure now that I've heard that. Can mushrooms harm either of those or will they just get rid of any mushrooms they can reach?

With those corals and the mushroom it will be a give and take kind of deal. They will all sting each other and irritate each other.

To rid yourself of mushrooms in an area you can use Joes Juice or Kalk Paste. Either will kill them off and clear a spot for your other corals.

Also remember that the "stalks" of your frogspawns are not alive. I have a few mounted on m live rock with the fleshy part only starting 3-4" off the rock where mushrooms and zoas have filled in. No problems.

Its a type of coral. It looks like this. Although the Florida leopard frog i think spawns in water.
img_982148_0_ec511dec3c696be4ad6cfb9d4827df99.jpg

frogspawn coral

Wow - it is very beautiful. Is the florida leopard frog an animal or another type of coral?!! I would like to be able to keep corals but unfortunately the light is not strong enough :(.

Back
Top Bottom