torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Having a problem with one of the heads of my torch coral. Seems to be dead and stringy. Will it affect the other heads. This is my first dealing with one. Just got him a few weeks ago. Here is some pics Any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_0329_969.jpg
    100_0329_969.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0325_145.jpg
    100_0325_145.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0324_117.jpg
    100_0324_117.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 45
Looks like brown jelly. It doesn't always affect every head on these branching corals but I'd remove the effected head and just keep an eye on it.

brown jelly is a protozoan infection, often the result of tissue trauma and not the cause.

I think Innovator means is, what caused the brown jelly. It could be from something irritating the head causing the flesh to recede and become infected. Sometimes it's hard to know why these things happen. It could have been damaged before you got it. Isn't this one of the newer corals? Good luck with it.

*edit* and he beat me to it. :)

Yes it is . I`m wondering if too much flow on it might be causing it. I recently bought a PH and it has alot of current on it. Thanks Cindy

that could be a possibility. if the current is blowing the tentacles too violently they may be tearing apart?

Ok I have so LR around it to keep some of the flow out. It`s about a moderate flow now. Thanks for the help all. Just never had much exp with torch corals. Again Thanks

Back
Top Bottom