Torn anubias and decaying elodea leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clockwork-Crow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an aquarium currently cycling with anubias, java fern and elodea (egeria densa). I've noticed lately that some of the leaves on one of my anubias plants have tears in them that weren't there before, and my elodea has had yellowing decaying leaves for the past few days. I've been keeping my ammonia within 3-4ppm, and today I dosed with fertiliser. I'm running an E27 11 bulb and wondering if insuffiecent light is the problem? But all of these are supposed to be incredibly hardy plants, and I don't want to spend an extra £20 on an LED light bar if I don't have to.

Commercially produced plants are usually grown immersed rather than submerged. They are therefore not used to being underwater and need some time to acclimate. Its possible you could lose all original growth to melt, but new growth should be healthy. From your other post, your tank has been going a little over a week. That isn't long enough to decide whether your plants are doing ok or not.

I had to look up your light, its a pretty standard domestic type lamp? You're correct that all your plants are low light requiring. Looking at the specs for that lamp on B+Q website, the light output based on 10 to 20 lumens per litre for low light demanding plants would be sufficient for a 50 litre tank depending on how far the light source is from the tank. Your tank is 14 gallons (50ish litres) so that works ok. I would have concerns about the 2700 kelvin colour temperature of the lamp. 5500 to 6500 kelvin would be better. Your plants will probably be ok with that lamp, but would benefit from an aquarium light.

I would see how things go, if you get good new growth, then great. If things dont improve, get a lamp with 500 lumens output, and a colour temperature of 5500 to 6500 kelvin. Most aquarium lights rated for your tank size will meet this if you cant find the specs.

Also, you wont necessarily get good results from all your plant types. Grow the plants that thrive, remove the plants that dont.

I got these plants from my LFS, growing in sales tanks they had (alongside fish), they all looked healthy when I purchased them.

My LFS takes them out of the packaging and displays them in a tank for sale. They are unlikely to be cultivated submerged as you get quicker growth when immersed (better access to CO2) so its more cost effective. Maybe they source their plants from non-commercial suppliers, but its unlikely.

Where is your fish store BTW? I notice you are leicestershire. There is a really good store at J28 M1 if you fancy a short drive. Wharf Aquatics.

Okay, noted. I guess we'll see. I added some fertiliser and took a picture beforehand, so I'll be checking for new growth from the elodeas tomorrow. The elodea and the anubias have definitely been growing roots, which I assume is a good sign. I go to Leicester aquatics for some stuff, and then one place that is just a guy in a warehouse. Wharf aquatics looks great, but I don't have personal transport more than a bicycle ATM.

Back
Top Bottom