torn fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fromtheheart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I'm new to the site. I actually signed up just a few moments ago. I have five glowlight tetras in a five gallon tank. Now before you start lecturing me about overstocking, it was all a surprise and a present from a friend. I don't have a choice in returning it or anything. The problem is that since it's such a small aquarium the tetras like to chase each other around. I guess it's all in good sport but some of them have torn their fins a little. I was wondering how to heal their fins before an infection sits in.

Also if I use melafix, do I have to remove the filtration? I was hoping not to since the tank was only recently established and with that many fish the ammonia levels can escalate pretty quickly.

Thanks for the help in advance!

actually...your tank is only slightly overstocked, but then again that depends on if it was cycled. Do you know if the person set up the tank before adding the fish? If not the fin damage might be due to ammonia burn or fin rot. Can you show pictures of their fins? Are the edges of the tears black in colour or greyish?

In general for healing wounds I elevate the temperature a bit to stimulate healing and I would also isolate really injured fish so that they are not further antagonized. Do you have a quarantine tank set up or is this your only tank? Are all of the fish affected?

As for melafix, you don't need to remove the filter unless you have newly activated carbon. But warning Melafix can kill some of the beneficial bacteria as it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. This could affect your biological filtration in the tank, which won't help you fish to heal any.

Have you tested you water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
I highly recommend doing a series of water changes to be sure your water is top notch. It will help keep the water pristine and this will help your fish heal.

Let us know what you water parameters are and post a picture of their fins so we can help advise you better.

I don't recommend using melafix or any other chemical for that matter. Clean water is the better way to "treat" your fish. Do a pwc every or every other day.

actually...your tank is only slightly overstocked, but then again that depends on if it was cycled. Do you know if the person set up the tank before adding the fish? If not the fin damage might be due to ammonia burn or fin rot. Can you show pictures of their fins? Are the edges of the tears black in colour or greyish?

In general for healing wounds I elevate the temperature a bit to stimulate healing and I would also isolate really injured fish so that they are not further antagonized. Do you have a quarantine tank set up or is this your only tank? Are all of the fish affected?

As for melafix, you don't need to remove the filter unless you have newly activated carbon. But warning Melafix can kill some of the beneficial bacteria as it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. This could affect your biological filtration in the tank, which won't help you fish to heal any.

Have you tested you water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
I highly recommend doing a series of water changes to be sure your water is top notch. It will help keep the water pristine and this will help your fish heal.

Let us know what you water parameters are and post a picture of their fins so we can help advise you better.

My friend told me that he cycled it and everything. I noticed that the fish do tend to twitch a bit which I know is a sign of ammonia poisoning. The fins don't really have any additional color to them. Not all of my fish are affected and this is my only tank. The last time I tested the water everything was fine but seeing as there's so many fish I'm sure the ammonia levels are a bit high. They do seem to have a little twitch every once in a while.

How often and how much water should I change to keep the water clean?

Let's hope your friend really did cycle it. But to be on the safe side, test you water asap and post your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are the most toxic to your fish. If the tank was cycled, you should not have any ammonia or nitrites, but may have some nitrates. Nitrates are not toxic at low levels. If you see any ammonia or nitrite, this is a bad sign and good indicator that the tank has not finished cycling. Which means your fish may be in danger.

If you do not have a complete test kit, go to your local fish store tomorrow with a water sample. They will test your water for free and you can pick up a liquid test kit while you are there to better monitor your water conditions.

I would start by doing a 50% water change today, to be cautious. Match the temperature of the water to what is currently in the tank. Use your thermometer to do this. Be sure to use a water conditioner to dechlorinate your water as chlorine is also toxic as I am sure you may know. I am only adding some of these details in case you are new to fish keeping. If you already know, my apologies for being redundant. Just want to help :D.

I would continue doing 20% water changes daily for a week if your tank is cycled, meaning for sure it has no ammonia or nitrites. After which I would continue doing 20% water changes every 2-3 days until the fins look healthy and healing again.

If however your tank was not completely cycled you will need to do a bit more work by doing water changes to keep you nitrites and ammonia as low as possible for the sake of your fish. Depending on how high the levels are you may need to do more aggressive water changes.

Some other things to consider are getting some aquarium salt when you go to the fish store. You will want to add one tablespoon per 5 gallons. Predissolve the salt into water that you add for your water changes. This will promote healing as well as elevating the temperature in the tank. Tetras like temp between 75-82ish. If you have a tank heater you will want to gradually raise the temperature. If your tank is already around 80F, then just leave it there. If you do not have a heater for your size tank a heater will be fairly inexpensive for a tank of your size. Lastly, if you have a fish that looks really bad off you may wish to isolate them from the others. You can invest in a breeder box. They generally cost less than $5. Breeder boxes are small plastic floating boxes or netted cages that fit in your tanks that allow you to isolate a fish. These are merely suggestions. The best medicine is clean conditioned water.

Keep us posted. I hope your little guys heal up soon.

I did a 50% water change today like you said. I also added melafix to promote the growth if the torn fins. I don't have any water testing kits and I won't be able to drive to a LFS in a while.

I was wondering if I did a 50% water change today, would the regular weekly water changes still apply? Also my filter cartridge is about a week or almost two weeks old, should I change it soon?

How are the fish today? how are the fins?

well...since you decided to use melafix, you should dose leafix daily for 7 days then do a 25% water change.

Your filter is not activated anymore but should be fine for filtering for a month I would guess. After you complete the melafix treatment I would change the filter though with a new one to remove the compound from your water.

As I would suggested, I think your tank would benefit from a series of water changes to be sure your water is top notch. Keep a close eye on the fish. If they do not seem to be doing better in a week, discontinue the Melafix and go with plan A, which was daily water changes of 20% for a full week then back to 20-25% a week after that.

When you get a chance to go to the LFS take in your water sample and get a test kit. Keep us posted.

i would use a quarter dose of melafix for a week. then at least a 25% water change every or every other week. i don't personally think your tank is over crowded more like it didnt cycle properly.

I got my water tested a few days ago. The person at Petsmart used a test strip and I had somewhere between 0ppm and 0.25 ppm of ammonia. I got it tested again today and there's no longer any ammonia in my water.

The fish are doing great. Their fins aren't doing any worse and they're acting really health-ily.

Back
Top Bottom