total newbie learning the hard way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...I am a newbie to the aquarium world and was first given horrible information (from a big name store that shall not be named) we purchased a 10g starter set (from said store) and asked what the process was to getting it started...we were advised to add "quick start" let it run for a few hours and come back for fish...the same person to give us the info was the one who sold us our 7 mollies and rubberlip pleco. We were advised to just float them for 15 min and add them...not once did they mention waiting for the tank to cycle or anything about any of the symptoms to look for for toxicity...the tank was going ok for about 3 weeks then within 72 hours we lost all the fish...thats when my friend who is very knowledgeable filled me in over social media about cycling and water testing...I needless to say I had to clean and start the tank over...we now have 2 mickey mouse plattys and a golden panda molly while the tank establishes. I am doing daily testing and the values are ok except for the nitrite which is sky high...I am doing daily water change of at least 40%. I use prime water conditioner and a touch of aquarium salt in my "aged" water...I am extremely determined to get this right (I have spent almost $300 on this $50 set-up). I joined this forum to help talk me through this increasingly stressful process...any advise will be appreciated.

And IMO a 10 gallon is too small for Mollies. I myself would have a t least a 20. So when yours get bigger (potentially up to 4 inches) they may need to be rehomed. By then I'm sure you will have MTS(Multiple Tank Syndrome :) )

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I am only adding the salt because it said it helped lower the nitrite levels...they have been testing between 2-5ppm. I ended up dosing with the prime for nitrite emergency because it tested high for a week even with daily water changes...I only have the 1 molly and he is male...dont want babies he is relatively small only about 1.5in at the moment so plenty of time before he outgrows (hopefully) I dont want to add anything else at all until it is fully cycled cause I cant handle killing off anything else.

Sounds like too much bio load on a cycling 10 gallon to me, and +1 the mollies belong in a 20+ gallon. They can be big waste producers. You may need to reevaluate your plans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom