Toxic gravel????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
Could it be the gravel? I bought glow in the dark top fin gravel off eBay over a month ago. I washed it before use. I've used it 3 different times. And I noticed my ammonia level sky rocked in a new set up everytime. I boiled it when I had an out break of ich, that was the first time I used it. Then when my Betta was better I tried it again. I noticed my Betta getting fin rot again and again. I was doing water changes sometimes twice a day when my levels on testing got too high. And I could always smell a sting oder in the tank before water changes. So took it all out. Now I got new baby platies and thought I'd try again. Different 10 gallon tank and only 3 platies. It's only been 2 days. There's a 10-15 gallon hang on filter on the back. I don't over feed. And my ammonia level today was .50 ppm. I did a 50% water change. Probably gonna do another one in a min. I just wanta know what your thought on this was. I've looked up toxic gravel. And it's out there. I just don't know how true this is...

Have you tested your water before putting it in the tank before?

Could it be the gravel? I bought glow in the dark top fin gravel off eBay over a month ago. I washed it before use. I've used it 3 different times. And I noticed my ammonia level sky rocked in a new set up everytime. I boiled it when I had an out break of ich, that was the first time I used it. Then when my Betta was better I tried it again. I noticed my Betta getting fin rot again and again. I was doing water changes sometimes twice a day when my levels on testing got too high. And I could always smell a sting oder in the tank before water changes. So took it all out. Now I got new baby platies and thought I'd try again. Different 10 gallon tank and only 3 platies. It's only been 2 days. There's a 10-15 gallon hang on filter on the back. I don't over feed. And my ammonia level today was .50 ppm. I did a 50% water change. Probably gonna do another one in a min. I just wanta know what your thought on this was. I've looked up toxic gravel. And it's out there. I just don't know how true this is...

It could have been the gravel especially if it was off eBay. You never know wether the chemicals to make it glow in the dark are fish safe. Boiling the gravel could have caused some chemicals to leach out of the gravel. I would take it out and do frequent water changes until the water gets better.

I would remove a handful of gravel and perform a test. Rinse the gravel and place it in a cup or bucket of water and see if it creates ammonia....

It could have been the gravel especially if it was off eBay. You never know wether the chemicals to make it glow in the dark are fish safe. Boiling the gravel could have caused some chemicals to leach out of the gravel. I would take it out and do frequent water changes until the water gets better.
That's what I was reading about the boiling, I found that after I did it. Think I'm gonna throw it in driveway. Lol! Let it glow there.

Tap water is yellow and tank water is green today. Last night i did 2 50% water changes on this tank, well, after feeding time. And water changes where about 1 hrs. Apart. Taking gravel out today doing another test with fresh water. Course! And good to know. IMAG2542.jpg

Tap water is yellow and tank water is green today. Last night i did 2 50% water changes on this tank, well, after feeding time. And water changes where about 1 hrs. Apart. Taking gravel out today doing another test with fresh water. Course! And good to know. View attachment 305381

Hope the water gets better and fish stay healthy.

OK, here it is! I pulled the gravel today and did 2, 50%water changers. Here's the level we are at now. Good to know! And I really hope this helps other people out there. I also have a hand full of the gravel in a mason jar with clean water and I'll test that tomorrow. Just happy I caught this before anything bad happened with my new baby platy's. Thanks for everything guys!.IMAG2600_1.jpg

Last update on this just to let everyone see. I did a test on the water out of the mason jar with the gravel and did a test on the tank without the gravel (for a day) IMAG2647.jpg water test from jar is on the left (green) and the tank test is on the right. Something to keep in mind when buying gravel. Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom