Trained or breathing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed that two of mollies were gulping at the surface, when I walked by the tank. My other fish looked normal and were not at the surface. I know am pushing maximum capacity for my tank. I have a 29 gallon with 3 mollies, 3 platties, 3 guppies, 4 corries, and a swordtail. I did hot stock the tank like this. The mollies and platties keep breeding. I have controlled the tank by giving away as much fry as possible. My NH4, NO2, and NO3 readings are all normal. I have lots of water movement at the surface. Two powerheads and my power filter. I am thinking it is more a learned behavior. They are getting into position to eat. Have others noticed this in their fish? Or am I so over stocked that they lack oxygen?

Watch the tank from across the room. If the fish get tired of floating there and wander off, they're just begging for food. If they stay there for a while, they're gasping for air.

Even better, throw an air stone in the tank for about 15 minutes and see if they stop.

Back
Top Bottom