Transfer Between 29G to 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHIFT_Unique

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright, i will be upgrading to a 55 gallon soon. when i get it here, im gonna have to empty the 29 to move it so i can put the 55 in its place.

i will be putting the aged gravel, marineland 75 gallon filter with aged biowheel on this. along with existing water from 29 gallon.

what do i do with my fish. will they survive the transfer?

i have

2 Bloodfin Tetras
3 Golden White Cloud Danios
1 Albino Tiger Barb
3 Tiger Barbs
3 Green Tiger Barbs
3 Cardinal Tetras
1 Cherry Barb
1 Rosy Barb
2 Gold Barbs
2 Silvertip Tetras
2 Long finned Serpae Tetras
1 Julii Cory
1 Panda Cory
2 Otto Cats
2 German Blue Rams
1 Red Platy
1 Gold Twinbar Platy
1 Black Molly
1 Green Swordtail

Whats the best way to do this transfer without casualties

Move the fish to a bucket first, with an air bubbler and heater if you think it will take a while. Then do the transfer, let the water settle some, then add the fish back in. The only fish I see that might be sensative to it is the GBR. But I think they will be fine.

For that many fish I would use several buckets. I would get enough to use at least half the water from the 29. If you expect to complete the task in under 2 hours a heater and bubbler aren't needed (JMO). I would keep the buckets covered as you have some jumpers.

Your fish will be ok- it will probably be about as stressful for you! :lol: Your GBRS will be stressed for sure, but they should be fine if you work quickly. My apistogramma have survived multiple moves. I agree with getting lids for your buckets. I just set the lid on top of the bucket without securing it, that way air can get in. Also, I always take the media out of my filter (assuming you use a HOB) and stick it in the buckets with the fish. Good luck and congrats on the upgrade! 8)

i just got those rams yesturday at The Fish Gallery(OMG Awesome place) These fish are absolutely the most beautiful fish i have ever seen.

definantly my favorite fish with the green tiger barbs in 2nd.

i forgot i have a 20 gallon long reptil tank, that i can fill half way(scared it will bust) and that will give them more area to swim, rather than in a bucket.(5g bucket is what i have)

I did this about ten months ago. I did not have any problems. I took a clean rubbermaid container and kept the fist in that. I took another big one and kept a bunch of the water. I was worried, so I didn't change the gravel, I added the same color. I used the same filter. It was easy, but you'll probably need two people and a lot of towels.

is that a ruby tiger barb in your picture? im trying to get all the barbs

It's a black ruby barb. Different species than the TBs. I used to keep them, they're cool fish and very active. They will school with your other barbs. I kept them with TBs and green TBs. 8)

Black ruby barbs are gorgeous. I believe you get more color with the males, but I'm not positive. Their colors change with their, I guess you would call it emotions. Right now I only have a female, but I plan on getting two males.

ok i have a Fluval 305 for the 55 when i get it. man these filters are really a lot more complicated that the regular HOB filters.

i guess i will be running both filters for a while, till the fluval gets a biological colony formed.

couple months?

It will establish in a couple of weeks. The canisters are simple enough once you get used to them, and they are nice and neat and seem to reduce evaporation compared to some filter types.

I agree, the Fluval is complicated to set up initially. I found the directions to be pretty confusing and I got really frustrated with mine! Once you set it up for the first time and get to understand how it works, it will be easy. Run both the filters for a couple of weeks and you'll be good to go.

turns out my GBR's just spawned. what should i do about transferring my fish now? Will this stress them out if they lose their first batch of eggs?

Back
Top Bottom