Transferr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just moved and was going to start cycling my 72g bf today with base rock and live sand I have a wet/dry system on it. Was going to let cycle for a few weeks with a few pieces of live rock from my 20g. Well went to my rental house where the 20g is at and found my hob filters pump had broke. In panic mode I set up my new 72g with lfs saltwater and transferred everything from 20 into tank after acclimating all coral and fish. I also added biosphere? Lfs said it will help cycle. Should I be ok or should I be worried bout live stock the water was still a little cloudy when transfer took place

Attachments

• image-469099805.jpg
    image-469099805.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 88
Yeah unfortunately I didn't have the funds in my budget to get another one. So far thankfully every one in the tank is happy and feeding like crazy going to get a test kit tomorrow to check levels

That's seems awfully extreme! I am pretty sure your tank would have been just fine without a hob filter. I run a 55g without a filter at all...

Yes you are definetly overestimating the necessity of that HOB filter. IMO they are pretty much useless except for running media or adding flow.

Did you at least have some filter media or something from the old tank you could seed your new media with? If so, your new tank's cycle should go pretty quickly. Just test it daily & plan lots of PWC's. IMO, the cloudiness should be fine for the stock--but IDK if there's any stock that would be sensitive to the cloudiness?? Also, I'm new to SW but when you say wet/dry, I assume that means sump (correct me if I'm wrong) but all that stirred up stuff will end up at the bottom of your sump & all over your bio balls if you don't have a high micron rating filter like filter sock material type. I'm just trying to save ya some headache I just went thru! ;)

I just moved a 75 gal from one location to another last Sat. I'm still battling issues w/ the move (& could be the past care of the tank by the old owner, but I think the move disturbed a lot of things too).

Of course they will do fine at first if you added them to freshly mixed water, but as they produce waste the proper bacteria isnt going to be there to break it down so in a couple days your ammonia will rise and the cycle will start. Are you testing the water?

I would go right now and get as much fully cured live rock as you can before things spike. I did twp upgrades over the last month. I had no room to let other tanks run for awhile, so I took a chance. I bought the new tanks and new sand. I emptied all the water from the old tanks into buckets and added them to the new tanks along with fresh saltwater for the remaining gallons. I took all the live rock from my old tank and to play it safe, I added some Dr. Tims. I added the fish a hours later. Nothing spiked in either because of the live rock.

I have about 25lbs of live rock that came out of the 20g in the new tank now rock went out of my old tank with the water into 5gallon buckets then into my new tank with new water.

You'll probably still have a mini cycle so just watch your params and be ready to do a water change if/when things spike.

If you are using all of your old rock with the same stocking level then it shouldn't be any issue at all. The problem will arise if you added any new rock to the tank, either uncured live rock or dry rock. Either of those can add quite a bit of ammonia to the tank so it might be a good idea to cure any new rock in buckets rather than in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom