transferring fish from one tank to another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need some ideas on transferring fish from a 55g at my parents house to a 180g at my apartment about 15mins away.. I was thinking a styrofoam container with lid?

No, I wouldn't use that. It would get damaged to easily. Just buy a plastic tub for a couple of bucks at Walmart. If it is going to take a few hours, I would invest in a portable air pump. They are like 10 bucks.

Last time I transferred a fish, I just put them in an old cooler with plenty of water and put them in the back, with a seat belt on, LOL. It worked they did not seem to be any stressed. Depending on how many and how big, find a plastic recipient that has a cap. But then again, make sure it's not for too long, 15 minutes is not a problem at all. If you have someone to drive with, they can just hold the recipient or cooler while you drive so they don't get smashed around. Also try not to speed and drive with care.

Good luck.

A cooler or 5 gal plastic bucket. U won't need to aerriate the water cuz its a short drive. Driving alone can aggitate the water. Just hit bumps :)

When I take fish to sell to my lfs I just use a 5 gallon bucket...as long as the fish isn't so big it cannot fit across the bucket comfortably...

Well I think a cooler will work best considering I'm gonna have a few fish near 10in n the rest under 8 in.. just gotta get a big cooler, or make numerous trips, but thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom