Transporting Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I will be going away this week and need to bring my 2 male bettas to my girlfriends house where they'll stay for the rest of the summer. The last time I went away I bought 2 dissolving feeders that the guy at the fish store said were fine for bettas. When I got back I couldn't even see them the tank was so cloudy. They're in bowls for now so in clean them quite often. I have the plastic container that I brought one home in. The other one however is in a bag. When I went to store to buy bags they tried to charge me 20$ or something ridiculous for bags. ( I won't be shopping there any more) so my question is how should I transport the other betta? It'll only be a 30-40 minute car ride. I have ziploc bags, will those work? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all,
I will be going away this week and need to bring my 2 male bettas to my girlfriends house where they'll stay for the rest of the summer. The last time I went away I bought 2 dissolving feeders that the guy at the fish store said were fine for bettas. When I got back I couldn't even see them the tank was so cloudy. They're in bowls for now so in clean them quite often. I have the plastic container that I brought one home in. The other one however is in a bag. When I went to store to buy bags they tried to charge me 20$ or something ridiculous for bags. ( I won't be shopping there any more) so my question is how should I transport the other betta? It'll only be a 30-40 minute car ride. I have ziploc bags, will those work? Thanks.
Yes, use a clean zip lock and put in a small amount of water and catch as much air as possible before closing the bag. (The fish needs more air than water to survive.) Bring along the items needed to make a gallon of water for her to change the water every few days. ( I use a plastic gallon milk container but any container will do.) As for feeding, I would use a pelleted food and have your GF just feed a couple of pellets 2 times a day. It's really an easy process.
Hint: if she keeps the new water near the fish, it will be the same temperature of their water so no worries about temp shock when refilling.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the advice. I've been keeping water in a gallon jug with the conditioner mixed in already. It really makes cleaning a whole lot faster

Back
Top Bottom