trap rock in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I put this trap rock in my tank. And what is it called its starts with a p and its when theres air pockets in the rock and u can boil it picture is below

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130321_134423.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130321_134423.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 94
most rocks are perfectly safe for aquariums. One test i've heard of using is pouring vinegar onto it and watching to see it the vinegar bubbles. If it bubbles don't use the rock. Also, I'm not sure what you're looking for with the type of rock; the only type of rock that I know of that has air pockets inside of it is igneous rock which is probably a bad idea to boil in case the air heats up too much inside the rock and causes it to explode.

Can I put this trap rock in my tank. And what is it called its starts with a p and its when theres air pockets in the rock and u can boil it picture is below

Pumice is the word you are looking for. It is I believe a type of rock formed by the rapid cooling of lava. I have a lava rock in my tank but its red so I'm not sure if the red lava rock and white pumice are different, like created from different types of molten rock, but like said above if it passes the vinegar test it should be fine. You can always do a little googling to double check though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom