Trash in my used aquarium? Unbelievable!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my first salt water aquarium a few months ago. A used 75 gal tank with a refuge, skimmer, return pump, stand and canopy.

I could tell the tank was crashed, and in need of some tlc to get it back to go, but no idea to what extent.

for starters, there where hundreds of shells in the sand with decomposing matter clogged in them. While sifting for shells, I almost cut my self on a rusty razer blade! Little plastic bits and parts from wave makers and motors, plumbing work and plastic plugs. The refugeum was caked with decomposing mater in every chamber that I had to clean out, while trying not to stir up the mud in the middle. Found a few large plastic bags under the mud!

This bringing me to what I found tonight. Pulling my mangrove plants up some, they broght this shining silver bag with it from the mud.

Its taken some real work to get it to the beautiful reef tank its becoming. looking back, I think it really would have been better to have washed everything with the hose and started from scratch!

ForumRunner_20120725_031828.jpg

Wow ! Why didnt you clean all that when you moved the tank? What did you pay for it?

I so don't believe in reusing sand, it is not worth the chance but a lot of people do it same a few $

Bkmrsteel said:
I got my first salt water aquarium a few months ago. A used 75 gal tank with a refuge, skimmer, return pump, stand and canopy.

I could tell the tank was crashed, and in need of some tlc to get it back to go, but no idea to what extent.

for starters, there where hundreds of shells in the sand with decomposing matter clogged in them. While sifting for shells, I almost cut my self on a rusty razer blade! Little plastic bits and parts from wave makers and motors, plumbing work and plastic plugs. The refugeum was caked with decomposing mater in every chamber that I had to clean out, while trying not to stir up the mud in the middle. Found a few large plastic bags under the mud!

This bringing me to what I found tonight. Pulling my mangrove plants up some, they broght this shining silver bag with it from the mud.

Its taken some real work to get it to the beautiful reef tank its becoming. looking back, I think it really would have been better to have washed everything with the hose and started from scratch!

This was the same shape mine was in. Almost cut my hand on busted thermometer glass. After a couple days of cleaning and painting though I've turned it into my own lil masterpiece and couldn't be happier (well unless it was bigger obviously lol)

Josh1158 said:
Wow ! Why didnt you clean all that when you moved the tank? What did you pay for it?

I was trying not to disturb the mud, and I had a lfs giving me very bad advice. I wanted to clear it all out and start from scratch, he insisted I should just leave it alone.

I didn't pay anything but time for the tank. Did about 300 hours computer work on trade, and it was all the guy came up with.

It was a real disappointment at the time, but I have turned the tank into something nice. Still have my little surprises at times though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you buy used tanks or setup tank you never know what problems etc. your gonna be dealing with. Usually people get rid of tank because they cannot take care of them anymore......that should be your first clue.

Good luck getting it all fixed up and rocking tho! I know it can be a lot of work and headaches.

Schism said:
When you buy used tanks or setup tank you never know what problems etc. your gonna be dealing with. Usually people get rid of tank because they cannot take care of them anymore......that should be your first clue.

Good luck getting it all fixed up and rocking tho! I know it can be a lot of work and headaches.

I knew nothing about salt water, and very little about aquariums at the time. If doing it over, I would clean the slate. Live and learn.

The tank is beautiful now, and I'm very happy with where its at. Fish and corals thriving, water conditions vary good

Back
Top Bottom