Treating BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pretty bad infestation of BBA in my high tech 10G. I've been spot dosing excel for about a week and a half, but I've stopped because there's been an increase in RCS baby's. I run pressurized CO2 and have 40W's of light. The tank is not overstocked. My pH is about 7.8. I have the lights on for about 4 hours a day. I do not dose any liquid ferts. I really really don't want to nuke the tank. Ive been running appropriate CO2 levels, but the algea is still growing and spreading. What should I do to get rid of it?

Specs-

Lighting- 40W'S (4 hours a day)

Ferts- Co2

pH- 7.8

Stocking-

6- Chili rasboras
33- RCS
2- Nerites
2- Oto's
2- Rabbit snails
2- Micro crabs

DragonFish71 said:
That's odd that you have BBA with shrimp. I know my cherries devoured the BBA that was in their tank when I first put them in.

Here's some links that I've used for various algae issues:

Algae control in the aquarium

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Wanna trade RCS;) lol thanks for the articles! Would it be safe to add the phosphate controller to my AC50? Also, if I were to lower the phosphate would the algea stop growing?

Looking closer at the second article, the algea I have seems to be staghorn algea. Can this be treated the same as BBA?

Back
Top Bottom