Treating goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, new on here :) I have some fancy goldfish, they are not actually unwell as I can see. But I have heard about flukes in goldfish, should I treat them for flukes even with no symptoms? I know it can be hard to tell if they have got flukes anyway, so should I treat before it may be an issue? Thanks :)

Welcome to AA!!!

Yes, running a full cycle of praziquantel with any goldfish you may keep is a wise idea. Flukes are probably the most common issue affecting goldfish and unless you purchased your fish from an great breeder, the chances of your fish having flukes are pretty good. Fish rarely will show symptoms of flukes until the infestation is severe and damage has occurred. Yawning or piping goldfish are the most classic symptoms but other symptoms are heavy/rapid breathing, slime coat issues, gill mucous, black spots. Long term, the flukes/gill damage can result in a host of issues including (but not limited to) bottom sitting/buoyancy issues, septicemia, infection and dropsy.

The good news is flukes are easy to treat with prazi and its very safe and effective. It will not harm your good bacteria, plants or other aquatic creatures (such as snails or shrimp). There is quite a bit of debate on whether to retreat for flukes annually (or bi-annually)- with ponds, this is definitely recommended. Quarantining any new fish properly and addressing flukes before introducing the fish to your main healthy tank is a must as well. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! Wasn't sure :) I only have sterazin at the moment, any experience with that one?

The active ingredient in this product is formalin (formaldehyde). I suggest not using this if possible. Are you from a European country? Many common meds are not available without a prescription but you may have some luck if you check Ebay or order from outside your country. Prazi can also be found as the active ingredient in many dog/cat wormers (brand name Droncit) which may be available to you. Please ask if you have questions!

Yep in the UK. Ok thanks a lot! Internet dosent give I will have to do some research for it. Would it be a good idea to use on tropical or marine fish? I have a tank of each.

Sent before I finished haha, I meant to say the Internet doesn't give many straight answers :)

Its a good idea to address any tanks you may have so you do not transfer stuff between tanks. I did a quick look for what you have available. Droncit is available on Amazon and Ebay. You also have a product called 'Fluke Solve' that is available on Ebay/aquatic dealers as well as quite a few other sellers on Ebay with praziquantel for sale for fish.

Back
Top Bottom