Treating ich with heat and possibly salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there, Im in the process of slowly turning up my heat. Once at 86 I leave it there 2 wks past last spots seen?? I have corydoras in the tank with my mollies, so im thinking salts not a good thing, but how do the corys do with heat? If its a issue ill move them over to my other tank...

anyone?? I mostly concerned with how much salt i'll need (have 20 gallon tank) and how much salt a corydora can tolerate.

thanks

I would skip the salt, use just the heat, leave up for at least 10 days. Since the corys are already in the tank, they have been exposed to the ich and they will also be treated. Be sure to add an extra air stone or lower the water level, since hotter water has less oxygen.
Sorry no one has been here to help you. :(

I second the no salt. Many people say that ick can be treated alone with only heat. :D Best of luck to you. :D

ich dosnt die with no salt it siimply speeds up the life cycle and with aggressive pwcs and gravel vacs you may be able to get it all. the salt actually kills the free swimming parasite through osomotic distress but there are still ich iin cysts hiding in the substrate because you have corys i suggest ich attack or quick cure

i use the api super ick cure for my fish and it work in 7 days. But i also turn my heat up too.

The ich cannot reproduce in temps of 86* and above, (there is one strain that can, but it's very rare), therefore the high heat WILL get rid of the ich, without using salt.
If you use any meds besides something natural, they usually wipe out all of your beneficial bacteria, and you have to cycle your tank all over again. This is one of the reasons people use the heat over the meds.

The ich cannot reproduce in temps of 86* and above, (there is one strain that can, but it's very rare), therefore the high heat WILL get rid of the ich, without using salt.
If you use any meds besides something natural, they usually wipe out all of your beneficial bacteria, and you have to cycle your tank all over again. This is one of the reasons people use the heat over the meds.

Thanks so much, thats what i'll do then!! Oh do you know how high is too high of a temp. Im using my thermometer to check the temp, not the heater... It seems though I need a stage between, if I have it set on one setting It only goes like 84-85 (maybe 86), if I turn it up one notch it goes to 87-88... ?? thanks, I dont want to COOK the fish.

Back
Top Bottom