Treating Ich with Sea Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I bought a lovely crowntail betta two days ago and he now has ich, my levels are good, and my other fish are healthy and the tank has been set up for over two years. He was fine last night with no white spots or anything but this morning he had a white grain on his left pectoral fin and one on his tail. So my first thought was to turn up the temp, but I can't turn it up any higher! So I was thinking about salt, I have atlantic sea salt and I was wondering if that would be suitable? My corys are in another tank at the moment and I have no snails in there. Here's a picture of the betta before he got the ich, I was overjoyed when I had seen him but I was only in for plants.. I just couldn't resist.. P.S. My qt is busy with other ill newbies. Thanks in advance.

250210_226245937388386_100000089438621_982662_3307589_n.jpg

Please excuse my over use of the word and

Salt would def be what I treated with. I would use either aquarium salt or non iodoized table salt (admittedly I don't know much about sea salt) if you are sure it is ich. Good luck with your betta! He is a pretty boy. I hope he gets better soon. :)

Thanks for the info, I can't see if it is iodized on the pack. Although I can get access to a car for a few hours so I may go get some treatment. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best medicine for the case?

I personally think that if you can cure it with salt and heat, that is the absolute best, especially considering that bettas really don't mind a very warm tank. If that were to fail, you could always try quick cure, but I have only seen the salt/heat method fail a very few times.

Cleggat said:
Thanks for the info, I can't see if it is iodized on the pack. Although I can get access to a car for a few hours so I may go get some treatment. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best medicine for the case?

Do u have a lfs? Meds isnt necessaries because salt and heat is a good treatment against ich. Go toner Lfs and buy aquarium salt!

Idd about it salt and heat being good medicine but the temp wont go up any higher :(

It's 48 gallons (US), watts is 200, 30c but it clearly isn't 30c (25c says the thermometer), it used to be fine until a few weeks ago I noticed that it was colder than the heater was set at so I had to turn the temp up, time for a new heater I think?

Back
Top Bottom