Treating ICH without medicine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is not a technical question, more a philosophical one. I read an older post that explained the process of treating ich without adding medicine by increasing water temperature. I found it funny that the same instructions were on the back of the medicine I use for treating ich. Are we being bamboozled? If treatment for ich with medicine is the same treatment for ich without medicine then why are we adding the medicine? In all fairness, I don't have a lot of experience with different types of medicines. In all the time I've had tanks, I've only treated for ich twice. Also, because I have plants and invertebrates I don't use the stronger meds. However, I still wonder - are we just buying into the hype? Should we or can we simply treat ich the old fashioned way with heat?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

heat speeds up the life cycle of the ich. at around 86 more ich can not survive. some fish cant handle the higher temps though most can. the meds do help but king of like you noted they do have their down side such as the copper.

salt and heat is what i would use to teach ich.

Back
Top Bottom