Treating Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kriquette317

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I setup up and cycled my 75 gallon a few months ago, and began adding the fish I wanted....without using a quarantine tank. The newest addition was a German Ram female, who ended up having ich within a few days of her being in the tank. It quickly spread to the other three Rams, at which point I noticed it. None of the other fish were infected (6 Congo Tetras, 1 LF BN, 1 Rubberlip Pleco, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 white-finned Rainbow Shark, 4 Otos. I gradually raised the temp to 86 degrees, and began treating with Jungle Ich tablets. Put a powerhead on, removed carbon from filters, and tank is planted. After almost a week following the directions there was no improvement. So I did about a 50% water change and bought Ich-X recommended by by LFS. Began using that according to directions, and within 4 days my 6 Congos, 3 Otos, 1 LF BN, ! Rubberlip, 1 Ram and my Rainbow Shark were dead. I am still not sure why as they still showed zero signs of ich. My remaining Rams were looking rather stressed, so I moved them to a 20 gallon that recently emptied (BGK I had in there died).

I did a large water change on the 75 after removing Rams, put carbon back in and haven't messed with it too much in about a week. I have kept the temperature at 86 though. (The Oto and Clown Pleco I didn't move seem happy as clams, no sign of ich) How long do I need to leave the temp that high to make sure ich is gone?

In my 20 I put the heat at 86 degrees, and added salt gradually. I am now up to 2tsp per gallon. How long do I leave the Rams in there to be treated? Only the female has 3 spots on her, the others have nothing.

Sorry this is so long. This process is going on almost 3 weeks now, and the meds didn't seem to work at all beyond possibly killing a good amount of my fish. I'm getting a bit frustrated. Valuable lesson learned though......USE A QT TANK! :banghead:

Most people will say 2 weeks after the last ich spot is gone from the fish. Then you can gradually lower the temp.

Back
Top Bottom