Treating Ick with Super Cure or Turn up the heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20G tank at 78* Amon 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10-15 had four platies, a dwf gourami and a frog with no problems the last few months.

I added six cardinal tetras from PETCO. After a few days, spots on all of them. Figured it was ick. Parameters still good.

I have read about turning up temp and adding saltwater, but the salesperson in Petco said I should treat the tank with API Super Ick Cure.

Any thoughts? should I go with just the heat, or treat the tank with the medicine?

I am worried the other five fish will get it.

Thanks

Heat turned up to the @88f should be suffcient to treat. Just make sure you add extra aeration because warm water holds less oxygen and that you turn up the heat gradually. Gravel vacs along with water changes every 2-3 days will help as well. The ich may become worse before it starts to improve, so dont panic! Maintain the heat for @1 week after the last spot is gone and then gradually reduce it. Super ick cure may harm or kill your frog, so a simple & natural approach is a better option. :)

Back
Top Bottom