Tree Stumps and Roots for Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
After deciding not to put any money into Malaysian driftwood, I've thought about using the stumps and roots of hardwood trees such as oak for aquascaping. The reason for using stumps and roots is that as many of you know, a lot of hardwood trees have "scales" covering the core of the tree and picking "scales" off is difficult and tedious. This morning before arriving to work I came across a field filled with recently uprooted trees (a new shopping strip maybe). Judging from the texture and the branches, I believe they're oaks of some sort. I picked out the roots and stumps because they're relatively smoother than the trunks and branches. I know that the some of, if not most, Malaysian DW, mopane wood, and other woods ADA sells on their websites are the root structures of the original plants and the fact that the stumps and roots of hardwood trees are underground in moist condition means that they're easier to waterlog

I was wondering if people in this forum have had any success in using stumps or roots as their DW. Any advice is appreciated regarding using woods from the surroundings:thanks:

Well I cant really offer any help, but I just added a piece of Madrona root (very small) to my 5g. I hope it works. I want to follow you on this to see how it goes for you. Good luck!

Well I cant really offer any help, but I just added a piece of Madrona root (very small) to my 5g. I hope it works. I want to follow you on this to see how it goes for you. Good luck!

good news for you then my friend, madrona is very hard and dense. some members of the planted tank universe have successfully sink this particular wood. lucky to be on the west coast i suppose

I've been wandering the same thing we have a lot of oak and cypress around me. So I'm gonna follow along on this one.

I see oak rotting all the time around here in the woods so I am thinking it would not be best.

All wood rots in your tank, just at different rates. Harder woods like mopani and malaysian take much much longer to rot which is why they are so great to use, plus they sink without having to hold them down.

I have tons of oak around here..never really thought about using the roots. I'll have to go looking for some and try it out. I think they do rot alot faster than other more common DW used in aquariums.

hi all, thanks for the attention on this thread. I think the key here is patience. It may take a while for the roots/stumps to sink. I will be going to a lake near by and see what I can find. I will post my findings as soon as i get back to my apt and clean tgem out

hi all, thanks for the attention on this thread. I think the key here is patience. It may take a while for the roots/stumps to sink. I will be going to a lake near by and see what I can find. I will post my findings as soon as i get back to my apt and clean tgem out

You can always lean a rock against it to hold it down too.

These are the roots from two Madrona saplings from my yard. I still have them soaking to remove the bark and what not. Its been a little over month now. One will go into my ten g once I really decide what to do with it.
61591-albums12542-picture57348.jpg

These are the roots from two Madrona saplings from my yard. I still have them soaking to remove the bark and what not. Its been a little over month now. One will go into my ten g once I really decide what to do with it.
61591-albums12542-picture57348.jpg

i will post my finding soon. have you dried it completely before doing the water treatment? i find that if i bake the roots and stumps, the barks come off easier and quicker. if the oven is not big enough for baking, then put it in direct sunlight will help as well.

i will post my finding soon. have you dried it completely before doing the water treatment? i find that if i bake the roots and stumps, the barks come off easier and quicker. if the oven is not big enough for baking, then put it in direct sunlight will help as well.

I have not tried baking it. I fear it catching fire. So how long and how hot should it cook? 350 degrees for an hour or so?

I have just been letting it soak and when the white film starts to build up I stick it in the dishwasher and pull off any loose bark I can. Mostly done.

I have not tried baking it. I fear it catching fire. So how long and how hot should it cook? 350 degrees for an hour or so?

I have just been letting it soak and when the white film starts to build up I stick it in the dishwasher and pull off any loose bark I can. Mostly done.

i keep it around 200 degrees for 1hr and then leave it in the sun for day and then put it in water for a week.

just so that we're on the same page, did your wood smell really bad? cuz mine did and it had a gray film of yuckiness

Back
Top Bottom