Trematodes and Brooklynella or Uronema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some fish that have died in quarintine. Under microscopic study I have found both trematodes and Brooklynella or Uronema. I've argued with my spouse that it is Brooklynella and he thinks it is Uronema. I believe the symptoms more closely resemble a brooklynella infection. At any rate, the fish died because he was treating them with paziquatel for trematodes. Do you think they should have been treated with Fromaldihyde and malachite green first for Brooklynella? And is it common for fish to be fine and then hours after dosing begin to hemorage?

Fish infected were creole wrasse, marine betta, blonde naso tang, and some pork fish.

Oh yeah. They were housed in a 150gal qt and all separated by dividers. The pH was 8.0 and the sg was 1.015 ammonia was a 0.0 . There is no substrate and a wet/dry filter. They were new wild caught fish and had survived for three weeks. Then a few creole wrasse began to lose interest in eating. Their slime coat looked like strings hanging from it. A few had clouded eyes. When the first one died, I did an immediate necropsy. Scale scrape, gills, and intestine. The only meds they got were paziquatel and piperizine flakes.

Brooks would have been more likley to kill them. What were their physical symptoms before they died?

Praziquantel is primarily used for internal digenean/cestode infections. Does the person know for sure what they where treating or just assumed?

Given the hemoraging (or do you mean lesions?), you are looking at either Brooklynella, Uronema or Vibrio. The trematodes would not have caused immediate/quick lesions. Skin marks are typically the result of secondary infection not hemoraging unless something was amiss with the treatment/QT itself.

For an all at once approach, Paraguard by Seachem would have done nicely. It would have even helped with the trematodes. Failing that, stright forward formalin SW baths.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom