Trigger taking Lionfish's food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmh2536

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added a large Picasso Trigger to my 120 gallon FO with a Volitan Lionfish. The trigger is much quicker at getting the food and my lionfish doesnt seem to be able to compete. I am currently feeding freeze dried krill and frozen mysis shrimp. The trigger snatches all the food for himself...any suggestions would be helpful.

ok, if they are large fish...mysis is a waste of effort. Large lionfish and triggers can eat fresh shrimp, lancefish, silversides and many other large pieces of food. It is more nutritional, filling and you can target feed them (meaning feed each one individually), that way you know each one is getting its share.

Might be a silly question, but could someone please explain exactly how to "target" feed a fish? Use tweezers? or something else?

for my large tank, I use a clothes hanger that has been opened up completely, I spear the food item and take it close to the fish.

I also use a long handled set of plastic tweezers for the fish that come to the top to eat. My Lion comes to the top for his food.

Back
Top Bottom