Triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crama1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are triggerfish reef safe will they eat corals??

I have a blue throat trigger in my tank and I have every kind of coral. He's perfectly fine with them BUT he does eat my small hermits and snails on occasion. He's fine with my cleaner shrimp though.

I have a blue throat trigger in my tank and I have every kind of coral. He's perfectly fine with them BUT he does eat my small hermits and snails on occasion. He's fine with my cleaner shrimp though.

What size tank? May be why and how old is he?

75 gal and I've had him about 7 months. But I know a few other people with blue throats and pink tails that dont have problems either. Each fish is individual though so anything can happen!

75 gal and I've had him about 7 months. But I know a few other people with blue throats and pink tails that dont have problems either. Each fish is individual though so anything can happen!

Same with my valentini puffer, he doesnt nip any of the corals in my tank or inverts

to the OP, not all triggers are the same. as previously stated, its not uncommon to find a blue-throat, pinktail, or even niger trigger in a well established reef setup. now if we were discussing triggers such as the Picasso, undulated, clown, queen, or titan, than it would be a completely different story.

Only one I have found is semi-reef safe is the blue jaw. But even he will get into stuff now and then, but doesn't do much damage. He is rapidly outgrowing my 300 gallon though.

There are some triggers that are labeled reef safe "with caution"....... that typically means they'll usually leave corals alone, but they'll most likely tear up your CUC. IMO, triggers are best left for nice predator FOWLRs.

Safest trigger would be the bluejaw, blue throat, whatever it's called at your LFS. Mine hasn't touch any of my CUC or inverts so far. It's gotten to about 6"

Back
Top Bottom