Trimming java moss...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the best way to trim java moss? Well, what I mean to say is I really like how it looks and don't want to make it look bad, lol. But it's just taking up too much swimming space, as it is now taking up over 2/3 of my 26G. It's almost a foot thick in areas, and no dead brown spots underneath, it's all very much alive and healthy. The Excel dip I did a while back sure did the trick, but it just get's fuller and fuller. Any ideas on what I could do with it without ruining the look? lol.

Edit:
At my last PWC, I took it out to gravel gac under it. The driftwood with the moss is about 10lbs wet.

theotheragentm said:
That's a bowling ball! I think you should sculpt it into the shape of a fish. :)

No, that's 4 bowling balls. lol. It's a bigger clump than 4 bowling balls in the tank, lol.

Any other tips from you trimming pros out there?

what are you trying to accomplish with it? cover driftwood? Substrate? Just float it?

I'm leaving it on the driftwood. But it's just too thick, and takes up near all the swimming space for the rainbowfish. And I can't believe how fast it's grown since the Excel dip.

I'd just give it a haircut =) as fast as it is growing, even if it looks bad at first, it will grow back. Just snip away, and imagine yourself in a kimono working on bonsai tree.

Here's pics.....

26g58.jpg

26g59.jpg

26g60.jpg

lol, i think a sandwich bag will be more than enough. If you are serious, let me know. I'll pay shipping =).

How did you get it to do that??

Whoa.... I have no idea how to trim a thing like that.... You say there is some driftwood under there somewhere? That almost looks more like xmas moss.

MyCatsDrool said:
lol, i think a sandwich bag will be more than enough. If you are serious, let me know. I'll pay shipping =).

How did you get it to do that??

PM me the address and I'll get some out to you. No charge for shipping.

As for getting it like that, I just tied on a thin amount onto a piece of driftwood that was shaped like a wishbone, with the 2 legs going down and the single leg leaning against the filter intake. My lighting is a 65W CF fixture with a 50/50 bulb. Then I soaked the moss, after it took hold and was getting full of algae, into a 10:1 solution of Excel for 5 minutes, then placed into the tank without rinsing. The algae melted away, and it took off.

Holy crap! I never imagined it would be that big. I have my moss just starting to grow now. I can't wait until I have that problem.

I think the fish must be much less excited about the whole thing... That moss is taking up 80% of their swimming space!

8O 8O Holy %$#*

I need some more stuff in my tank, but MCD beat me to it...if you have any leftovers, though...

WOW.

Back
Top Bottom