trimming wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
i looked around the internet but i couldn't quite find a good article on pruning plants. but i think a couple of my water wisteria plants are coming close needing to be trimmed so doesn't anyone know how i could go about doing it?
IMG_20100902_175357.jpg

Cut as far down the stem as you want and then replant or toss the cuttings. Nothing special. Don't cut at an angle and use a sharp pair of scissors to minimize the damage.

okay if i cut the wisteria will it continue to grow upwards or will it start to "bushen up", cause as my background plant i want it to reach the pretty close to the top, but i also want it to be bushy. so should i wait till it grows out of the aquarium to trim or will it grow upwards still.

stem plants normally split at where they been cut so it should bushen up as you call it. you can also cut each section of the stem and plant it also.

i had this plant in my 55 for a while, until it just got too big and out of hand. i started by just cutting the plant back to where i wanted.. just trimming the tops back. then i noticed it would just melt/rot back from where i had cut.. after noticing that a few times i started cutting somewhere in the bottom half of the stem, then planting the portion i had just cut. this looks better, but it can be difficult to keep the new cuttings grounded until the root... good luck!

thanks yeah i posted on the barr report and they all suggested replanting the tops for better growth and they said the stems probably wouldn't due well after cutting.

Back
Top Bottom