TROPICAL PLAY SAND - and why you want it for your tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnmojo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been doing some research on the web looking for this stuff. For anyone out there who was like me and confused about this a few days ago, read this.

WHAT IS THIS STUFF?

Southdown, Old Castle and Yardright are all distributors (or were) of the same thing - TROPICAL PLAY SAND.

If it says TROPICAL it is argonite sand from the exact same quarry as the $20 per little bag argonite sand at the LFS. From what I have read, there is only ONE place it is quarried, that is on a Key in the Caribbean.

"Regular" play sand is not "bad", but it is made of something else - silica. Silica is what the glass in your tank is made of, so it won't cause your water to turn brown (your glass does not do that, right?), or your animals to all die. HOWEVER - some of the inverts we all want in our DSB don't like the sharper grains of silica, and here is the important part, ONLY ARGONITE will buffer your tank's PH - forever. We lazy guys (and gals) like it when we don't have to worry about one less thing going bad in our tanks.

You don't want any silica sand that has any additives to it, like pesticides or fungicides for some garden applications. Read the bag, it will let you know (and the price will be higher) if it has any.

Any TROPICAL play sand that says "not for aquarium use" is just a contractual legal BS thing on there because CaribSea is the distributor of ALL agronite sand from this quarry for the aquarium trade.

A couple of pointy-headed guys did tests on tropical play sand and the Caribsea stuff. You can't tell the stuff apart under a microscope, they both look like little white balls of the same stuff. The silica sand looks like clear, sharp, shiny quartz, because it is quartz. Silica may also have trace amounts of tar in it, according to the pointy-headed guys.

IF IN DOUBT ABOUT IT, TEST IT IN VINEGAR. Argonite sand will foam up like alkaseltzer in the stuff. Silica will just sit there and do nothing.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

Tropical play sand runs from $3.84 to $5.00 or so for a 50 pound bag. Caribsea runs from $12.00 to $25 for a 15 pound bag or so at the local fish store. I can't remember exactly how big the bag was, but it was small. I have found PETCO sells this stuff the cheapest. However, this is why you want the tropical play sand, it is the exact same stuff and is only a fraction of the cost. If you need 6 inches to cover a 150 gallon tank, you can see the reason so many people are looking for the tropical play sand.

HOW MUCH DO I NEED?

if you just want to buffer your tank or keep wrasse (or other burrowers happy and alive) an inch or two will be fine. In my experience, the ONLY way to keep burrowing wrasse happy and alive is on sand. I have kept "expert only" wrasse for 5 years (and counting) on sand, and let me tell you, 5 years ago, I was experienced, but no expert. I just knew to keep them on sand. You can stir this sand all up to get the nasty stuff out if you need too. Even five years later, there is still some silt from it.

DSB - Deep Sand Bed. 4-6 inches of sand. If you want more info on this, google it or search this site. Just don't stir the sand up, let it get all compacted. That is the point of the DSB. Your critters can stir up the top layer, but the common thread I have read is that you don't want major upset of the bed. This upsets the chemical process that go on in the DSB.

WHERE IS THIS STUFF?

Most, if not all, of the TROPICAL play sand on the market is sold in the North East USA. If you are south of VA, or west of Ohio, you may be out of luck. I have not found any outside of these areas.

HOW DO I GET THIS STUFF IN MY TANK?

ALL SAND, silica or argonite, will turn your tank milky for a bit with silt. This is not indicate the stuff is bad. There are ways around this. Prewash the stuff a couple of times in a bucket, use pantyhose to screen it, drop clumps of it in a PVC pipe to "pipe" it to the bottom of your tank, or use a ziplog bag to transport it down there. The silt is just the very fine particles of sand that are too heavy to just fall to the bottom. There are ways to minimize this silt, but no way to eliminate it. I also use a very fine mesh net to mechanically skim it off the surface. You can put a few extra powerheads in the tank to keep it in suspension longer and most will be deposited in your sump. Just don't point the powerheads at the sand - that would be bad. Putting it in your tank is easier if you don't have any animals in there, but it can be done to a fully stocked tank with fish and corals, you just have to be much more careful about the silt. DONT EVER JUST POUR IT FROM THE BAG INTO THE TANK WITH LIVE ANIMALS IN IT. Your fish will not like you, but should be fine, but your corals will get a heavy coating of silt, which may cause them to close up for too long, or produce massive amounts of mucus which may be toxic stuff depending on the coral. Stress is bad, and the silt will stress them, so don't do it - minimize the stress.

WHAT SHOULD I USE? SILICA OR ARGONITE?

Silica sand is just fine for your tank, however, ONLY argonite sand will buffer your PH because it disolves at PH 8.2. Even dolomite and crushed coral only disolve at PH 7.8, so, argonite sand is the BEST for keeping that PH stable and where you want it - at least 8. No muss, no fuss PH. I like that. I like that a lot. TROPICAL PLAY SAND is argonite sand at a fraction of the cost - you can put 6 inches in a 150 gallon tank and not even spend $30 to do it. Walk into a LFS and tell them you want to do a deep sand bed and you can see the $$$ in the clerks eyes. A lot of these guys get commissions. It can run into the hundreds of dollars.

If anything I have posted is known to be complete BS please correct me on it. This info is just what I have gathered over the past few days of searching the web and calling stores. Most of it I know to be true because I have been there, done that, and have the T-shirt to prove it.

Hope this helps anyone as confused as I was about TROPICAL PLAY SAND....

David

From the small amount of research I have done your post sounds fantastic. Thanks!
Which major stores carry this sand? I am in the NE and would love to get my hands on it!

I've seen it at Home Depot and Wal-Mart under the label KolorScape. (It says Old Castle in the fine print.)

I've seen it at Home Depot and Wal-Mart under the label KolorScape. (It says Old Castle in the fine print.)

Me too, but I tried the vinegar and it didn't fizzle at all....Maybe because it was wet?

Try the Home Depot. Most posts I have found on the web refer to this place. I have also heard reports of it being found at Wallyworld and Lowes, but MOST site HD as the place to find.

I know the OLD CASTLE is found at Wally world. If it does not say TROPICAL, buy a bag and test it to be sure it is argonite. I would probably test the tropical one too, but all the info I have read says that tropical play sand is always argonite.

Good Luck finding some

It will not always explode with fizzle. It WILL do something however. Try white viniger, I think that is stronger acid. Heck, a soda should make it fizz. Any acid will, for that matter. The stronger the acid, the more fiz.

Silica sand will NOT fiz, ever, at all. Quartz just won't fiz.

If it bubbles or fizzes, it is disolving, and is argonite and the good stuff.

David

abnmojo said:
Try white viniger, I think that is stronger acid. Heck, a soda should make it fizz. Any acid will, for that matter. The stronger the acid, the more fiz.

I wouldn't reccomend using soda/pop to do the testing as it is highly carbonated and I would imagine be very easy to give a false positive by foaming up for any number of reasons just because that's what pop likes to do :)

For a long thread discussing where to find this sand look at the sticky at the top of this forum:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22188

the thread has been going for quite some time so it is probably the best bet for finding locations that carry it or have carried it in the past.

Kolorscape play sand

I just tested a batch of kolorscape (Old Castle) WHITE play sand in vinegar.

This stuff is NOT argonite. Do not buy it and think you are buffering anything.

From what I have read, you are looking for the TROPICAL white play sand, and Old Castle does distribute it, just not at this Wallyworld.

David

you are looking for the TROPICAL white play sand, and Old Castle does distribute it, just not at this Wallyworld.

Cool, I did the same thing, just thought I was going a little crazy.

Hey David,
Welcome to AA! I have read a lot of the same stuff about the sand but I still have a hard time putting playsand into my precious tank.
I did want to get someone elses opinion- my tank is 8wks old with cc and I want to switch to sand. I would only do 1/2 at a time like the thread on here suggests, but does anyone see any problems or pointers for doing it.
tia
Mike

I have a 55 gallon and did mine 1/3 at a time. I also had LS in there as well, so I sifted the coral in the water. I did it right before I did my PWC. The coral looked nice, but I got tired of cleaning it and it limited my on a cool cleaning crew and fish that I wanted. Goby/pistol shrimp and a few others.
Pointers/suggestions, based on my experience:
don't use a glass to scoop the CC (I really don't know what I was thinking, and now there is a small piece of glass somewhere in my sand bed.)
Some suggest using a PVC to pour the new sand down into the bottom of the tank...Get PVC with a decent diameter...I didn't and it turned out being a real pain trying to get wet sand down that little hole.
I put my sand in a plastic bowl and let it fill up w/water, then slowly moved the bowl to the bottom and slowly let the sand come out of the bowl...I didn't get too bad of a sand storm.
HTH!

hey ckmn101 I guess it depends on if you want a deep sand bed or only a few inches of the stuff. I switched to sand from crushed coral in all my tanks about 5 years ago, and it was a pain in the neck the first time you do it. I only have from 1-3 inches (it does get moved arround by errant powerheads, and ticked off clownfish of all things) in my main tank and one inch in both my nanos.

I would suggest you read up on what a deep sand bed does, how it works, and what not to do before you go that route. There are some tricks to know so that you don't mess it up.

If all you want is to put a couple of inches of sand in your tank, my post has plenty of info on how to do it. It is messy, but the silt will clean in a couple of days at the most. It won't stay pristine and white forever either. I have tons of hermits, snails, and sand sifting conch and starfish and my sand still needs vacuuming every so often, which is why I want to switch to a deep sand bed and get all the critters to go with it - mostly worms. I probably need more hermits as well. There are places on the web that sell sand critters for deep sand beds. Mostly worms, but mysid shrimp, tiny starfish and others also live in the stuff. You tell me a reason why NOT to have mysid shrimp breeding in your sand bed - the fish and coral love them. I figure it would be cheaper in the long run if the fish could eat some from the tank instead of buying frozen all the time. I got a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp (instead of just keeping one) years ago just so that they would breed and release the fry into the tank for the fish and coral to snack on. I have noticed that skunk cleaners tend to stop cleaning if you put food they like to eat in the tank every day.

I like the argonite sand for the simple reson that it keeps the PH where it needs to be. I checked PH all the time the first couple of years I had the sand in there, but it never changed, ever. It is VERY stable with argonite sand.

If you are ripping out all your substrate and going from nothing to sand, I would think you could do it all at once, it is not as if you have any live sand in there now that could get smothered! I would suggest putting cheaper sand in there first, and getting your hands on some live sand from somewhere and putting that in there last, on top of it all.

If and when I find this tropical stuff, I will have to do it a little at a time since I allready have live sand in the aquarium now, just not enough.

Good luck,
David

I have noticed that skunk cleaners tend to stop cleaning if you put food they like to eat in the tank every day.

My cleaner shrimp got lazy too! LOL!

I would think you could do it all at once, it is not as if you have any live sand in there now that could get smothered!

You end up stirring up the nasties that are in the CC, plus it might not give the CC critters a chance to move from the remaining CC into the sand....Just a thought...

Re: Kolorscape play sand

abnmojo said:

From what I have read, you are looking for the TROPICAL white play sand, and Old Castle does distribute it, just not at this Wallyworld.

David
Very odd. A friend of mine tested it and said it fizzed. Perhaps there are diffrent batches running around.

I found tons of Kolorscape today at HD here in Chicagoland, that wasn't there 2 days ago. I tested it at the store and could get no fizz, yet it says it may contain silicates which implies it is not silica based sand, so what is it then? Can you look at the grains under the microscope (I have access to them) and tell that way and put this "aragonite or not" to sleep for good?

The vinagar is the easiest way. It will fizzle. I looked at the same stuff at my HD, and it was no Aragonite. I would think, under a microscope, it would look very sharp, like quartz or broken glass (silica). Aragonite might possibly be smoother, not as many sharp edges...But I'm not the expert.

abnmojo said:
ONLY ARGONITE will buffer your tank's PH - forever.
The buffering capability of aragonite sand only lasts the first 6-9 months and after that has a much less to no affect on your ph.

Finding true aragonite play sand proved too difficult for me in my area so I went with CaribSea Aragamax Grand Bahama Sand which was costly but I’ve been very happy with.

roka64 said:
Some suggest using a PVC to pour the new sand down into the bottom of the tank...Get PVC with a decent diameter...I didn't and it turned out being a real pain trying to get wet sand down that little hole.
I use a 4” wide 24” long pipe. Just curious but what size did you use?

I use a 4” wide 24” long pipe. Just curious but what size did you use?

LOL! I can't remember the exact size but it wasn't wide enough, plus the sand was wet. I use the same sand as you. I just put it in a bowl and let it fill up and sink it to the bottom and pour it out. Works pretty well. I just finished switching my CC to sand and love it. Now I can get a clown and anenmoe! Yeeehawww!!!!

Re: Kolorscape play sand

dskidmore said:
abnmojo said:

David
Very odd. A friend of mine tested it and said it fizzed. Perhaps there are diffrent batches running around.

I went to Wal-Mart today and they had the Kolorscape sand. It was NOT the tropical. I got a bag and brought it home, poured some viniger on it and it made bubbles. I went back and got more to start my 150g with in a few weeks. This was in South Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom