Tropical Science Biolabs - out of business??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am trying to find out what happened to the company Tropical Science Biolabs. They have been around since 1986. All of their products suddenly became unavailable (save for a few vendors who have some remaining inventory on hand), their website (tsbiolabs.com) was removed from the Internet, and e-mails are going unanswered.

I can't seem to find anyone who knows what's going on. Did they go out of business or what?

I noticed your thread a while back and finally got around to doing some research.

Tropical Science Biolabs, aka TSBiolabs, are the makers of such products as Liquid Gravel Vac and Aqua Flourish, which contains "RNA and DNA" which is somehow supposed to be beneficial.

If you go to the site, they are now only displaying a logo. The title bar says "Phoenix Arizona - Since 1984."

Take a look at this Google Search. You will see some cached results. One of supplemental results has a page title that reads, "The Leader in Aquarium Industry since 1986."

So, we have a conflict of years... is it 1984 or 1986? And if they are the "leader in aquarium industry," surely they must have a business contact or address.

I looked, and I looked, and I looked... there is NO business listing for ANY company called "Tropical Science Biolabs" ANYWHERE in the Phoenix area. Check yourself... for example, go out to anywho.com or yp.yahoo.com, and search for Tropical Science Biolabs in Phoenix Arizona. NOTHING. Now I have to ask myself, what "leader in the aquarium industry" has no business listing?

Back to that Google search result above. Take a look at Google's cache of the supplemental result. We have a phone number - 800-646-3611.

Taking that out to Anywho and doing a reverse lookup yields the following results:

Great Western Pet Supply
Phoenix, AZ 85003
800-646-3611

A business lookup on their name yields:

Great Western Pet Supply
2001 North Black Canyon Highway
Phoenix, AZ 85009

I wonder if they have a web site? They do... http://www.greatwesternpetsupply.com/. This looks like a pet store to me, not a research facility operating since 1984 (or 1986) who tests and develops bacterial aquarium additives and other aquarium solutions and supplies. I have to wonder where exactly they get all of these biological additives and how they are made. Based on what I'm seeing, it doesn't look to me like they manufacturer or develop the stuff themselves... I wonder who does (did?) if this is true?

They currently only list one TSBiolabs product in their "manufacturers" section - Nitromax. If you look at their "conditions of use" page, they clearly claim ownership of the Tropical Science Biolabs trademark.

Further searching yielded this page:

http://www.cpipets.com/

Now we see that someone calling themselves "Companion Pets Inc." is laying claim to owning several trademarks and businesses:

http://www.animalkingdomaz.com/ and http://puppiesnlove.com/ (which just redirects to animalkingdomaz) - with a very interesting "Our Company" page - it's blank!! They list the same contact phone as Great Western Pet Supply.

There's also "Earth Blend Dog Food," which is simply a link out to Great Western Pet Supply.

Companion Pets Inc. has no business listings. Again, the only business listing for anything is Great Western Pet Supply.

Speculation - their source for their TSBiolabs product is gone perhaps, or maybe they just decided they weren't making any money off of the product. I can't find ANYTHING to substantiate that "Tropical Science Biolabs" was operating for 20 years or more. I am not saying they weren't or they are lying, I am just saying I can't find anything to substantiate it. I am left with feelings that there is (was?) some degree of deception involved with "Tropical Science Biolabs," based on what I have found out so far. So, perhaps they got called on this and had to remove material or cease manufacture, but I can't find anything to substantiate that other than my own speculations.

Hope you find that helpful.

That's only what I found out using the internet. If anyone knows some hard facts to correct my speculations please post!

Back
Top Bottom