tropical to goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZombiesAteMyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 30 gallon tropical aquarium, it is fully cycled and has fish in it, I am using an aquaclear 70 filter, it is fairly heavily planted with fake / plastic plants, and has normal sized aquarium gravel like the kind you can find at any big box store.

I have been wishing for a while that I would have went goldfish instead of tropical, recently my niece has taken a liking to my fish and has gotten a tank, I am seriously considering giving her my fish ( a handful of zebra danio, neon tetras and some cory cats) if I do, and my tank is empty what all changes would I need to make in order to switch to a gold fish tank?

I would most likely go with fancy tail goldfish or a black moor and some else, only 2 gold fish in there

My initial thought was to just remove the heater, and add a 2nd aqua clear, maybe a 30 in addition to the 70.

But like I said it rally have no clue, so if someone in the know could help me out and let me know what changes if any I would have to make it would be great.

Hi! A cycled tank is always a good place to start as this is always the hardest part of keeping any tank. A few things to consider here to get you started.

Décor- Plastic plants and décor are fairly sharp and will snag long fins and injure delicate eyes. Real plants are great but opt for silk ones to avoid injuries if you would like to stick with fake plants. No décor that is sharp, pointed or enclosed in any fashion. Goldies will try to get into the spaces that you would never think possible and ultimately wind up injured or stuck.

Gravel- As goldfish are grazers and are in the constant hunt for food, its best to stick with something that will not be potentially stuck and/or swallowed . Sand is a much safer option or opt for bare bottom.

Filtration- More is always better! The bare minimum on a 30g would be 10x the tank or 300gph.

Stock- I honestly would stick to a single goldfish in a 30g unless you have plans to upgrade in the (not so far) future. Moors grow quite large as do ordinary fantails. There really is no such thing as a 'small' goldfish as they all have the potential to be big with great care.

Please ask any questions you may have! :)

Back
Top Bottom