Tropicals with out air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was just wondering how long tropical fish can survive without oxygen in the tank? I had a very bubbly tank but I was half way through doing a clean/change and the thing just stopped pumping. I have had a quick look and cleaned it out, which it wasn't too bad but it won't pump. I think it just may of overheated so have turned it off to cool it down. It was making a pump noise and was vibrating as if it was on.

Most of the oxygen in your tank is actually absorbed by the surface of the water coming in contact with air, and absorbing oxygen there. The reason an air-stone or bubbler helps oxygenate a tank, is because all those rising bubbles cause the water to move, so more water gets in contact with the surface than would in a totally still tank.

Do you have a filter? Most filters cause enough water movement for the water to absorb enough oxygen. So simply not having a bubbler is probably not a problem.

Yes I have filters but I think the pump is on its way out. It's not sucking up enough water to run through the filter and bubbler. On way to get another pump as don't wanna loose fish

Back
Top Bottom