Trouble in the Mumba Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon set up with yellow labs and demis. Not sure exactly how many are in there. They have tons of caves and have started breeding. But I have noticed that the dems are acting aggressively lately, not just towards each other but also to the labs. One particular keeps chasing anything over an inch away from the rock piles. Should I add more caves on the other side of the tank? Add more fish? Reduce the number of fish? Upgrade to a bigger tank? Or ignore the chase? I was considering another rescape. If I had too I could separate the labs from the demi. It seems to be just one beautiful demsi causing all the drama. Suggestions? Please!

It is advised to have A LOT of demosani as they are an aggressive mbuna. Like A LOT of females. And a big group

Well I think I have about 15 adults not including babies. Then I think I have 8 yellow labs not including fry.

How many yellow labs do you have?

And it may just be the dominant one in the tank. All African tanks have a dominant male, and they show the most color, so he's probably it. And the dominant males usually bully everyone. Mine does. IMO just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Here is bully #1!

Attachments

• image-1111004949.jpg
    image-1111004949.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1873922637.jpg
    image-1873922637.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-4097030723.jpg
    image-4097030723.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-894258597.jpg
    image-894258597.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 87
I have 6-7 adult labs and there is fry swimming around in there that I can't catch.

rescaping helps for a while ime. I have had a little luck lately with tall plants, driftwood, any deco that breaks line of sight. I am also thinking of adding some floating plants too. My bully tends to just check each cave when on his "rounds" and chase any fish he finds. There is one in particular he chases a lot. That's why I suggest building into the water column. It's good how you have the cichlid stones stacked, gives spaces to hide beside just on ground level =) I wouldn't add more fish. I wouldn't worry too much either unless you think you might lose a fish or one seems really stressed

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/klyk0do9maqype9/9lzYVdwrXN

The usual advice when it comes to demosani is that they should be in a species only tank with 1-2 males and lotsa females.
That said, I have 1 demosani in my mbuna tank. It's one of the smaller fish, and somewhat of a bully but has never hurt anything (just does a lot of chasing). Having them with other fish can work but that's not the norm.
A lot of experienced keepers would say to take the labs out and make sure your m/f ratio is right.

When you have demasoni they require more rock work due to their aggressive nature alot of people do the species only tanks like mentioned above but the other half keep them with yellow labs bc.of the striking color contrast

So far, yes he is just chasing the adults, but he leaves the fry alone. I will rescape with more rocks and plants, see if that slows him down a little.

Chasing is normal. You are a little high on stock IMO. I would just let it ride if you have good test numbers. It is not abnormal for me to loose an occasional fish from aggression. Maybe like one every 6 months. They will never stop chasing and nipping. It is just what they do. You will notice one fish getting singled out and hiding. His fins will start to get shorter and shredded. Then it is time to rehome if you can catch him. That's a pretty male dem. He's just showing off.

Back
Top Bottom