Trouble With Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Umm ok i've got this tetra. Hes alright except when it comes to eating, he eats normally and then for like an hour or so he has some trouble staying like still, he has to swim down, as if he was floating or something.

Anyways. Is there a cure? Its only when it eats...
Im know im not overfeeding.
NH3 and NO2 are 0
Ive had them for more than a month.
TIA
Pato

Hi, Neuve,

Tetras should usually be ina group (if you have just one it may be more vulnerable to deseases). Also, many lfs have tetras that are really sick, or delicate. They lose a lot of tetras as they are not hardy at all. Your case looks like the tetra has a) some stomach problem b) was attacked by another fish.

In any case, if the tetra is swimming normally most of the time, and eating then I wouldnt worry.

What are you feeding him? If you are feeding something very bouyant like freezedried bloodworms this would be enough to cause him to float until it has a chance to digest/rehydrate.

TetraMin Flakes, brine shrimp from time to time...

I had a school of 7, moved an albino rainbow shark in there and now i have 6, no idea where #7 went...

Moved the albino shark out, again...

The problem was present long before the shark came around...

And yeah, before feeding him everything's normal... Then again, TetraMin may be very bouyant for him...

Thanx.

BTW, hadnt had any trouble with any of my tetras, except the one that misteriously dissapeared.

Thanx
Pato

You might try soaking the flakes in a little bit of tank water before feeding. Dry flake food tends to expand in the fish's belly, which can give them some equillibrium problems.

good luck!

hi
we've got 11 neons & ours are exactly the same after pigging out on food. they seem to find it hard to go down for a while but then theyre back to normal. we've had ours for about 4 months & they seem to be fine otherwise.

I totally agree with sweetuvvyb, your neon is pigging out and i think that it is the flake food expanding in the neons belly.

Soaking works great, i use a little cup, mix the flakes for like 20 secs and then let them have a little, just for about five minutes. Everyone is happy and shiny now. Neons have lost the fear to the water falling and just dive right into it, even tough they swirl they recover right away and start looking for food.

Now i do it for both of my tanks (thinking this may have been the cause of my flame tetras' bloating) and everyone is alright.
Thanx All
Again

Several of my neons exhibit the same behavior on occasion. I've noticed that it usually happens when they charge at the surface really fast to get the flakes. I was thinking that maybe during this mad dash for food they unintentionally ingest some air which causes their temporary buoyancy problem. They're usually swimming normally several minutes to an hour later.

rob74

Back
Top Bottom