Trout Aquarium information request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Accent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Forgive me if this information has already been covered. This is my first visit to this site and am hoping someone can help me out.

My partner and I own an aquarium service and maintenance business and have a problematic tank. The TROUT tank is only chilled tank we have and I know nothing about it as it was set up by a previous business. The owners have all sorts of problems and I am trying to sort out the issues.

This is a 440 gallon tank with a bioball set up underneath. It uses a sump, UV sterilizer, canister filter, center dump with return jets around the column.

The problem is that we have major algae infestation and the owner will not let me use algae fix. So I am doing huge water changes, running a filter machine, and holding my breath. I think the water temp may be an issue as it is set at 60 degree F.

What else can I do besides trying to lower the temp and limit UV light? Can I use algae fix and not harm the trout?

Also, can I add crayfish to clean the rocks/gravel etc?

Any advice would be appreciated to include a resource I can call and discuss the problems with. I lost the customer once and then they fired the other maintenance outfit because they were worse than me! Hard to believe.

how big is the trout? Anything you added to eat the algae would likely just be an expencive snack for the trout.
Algae fix probably wouldn't be my first choice; Chemicals like that will often do more harm then good. You're most likely looking at nutrient overload due to that trout.

what are your levels? (NO3, PO4 etc)

Also check out this link-if you can identify the type of algae we may be able to offer more specific advice.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

good luck

There are 7-8 trout from 8-14 inches. Not sure about the levels. I will have to ask the more intellegent half. She has the info or can get it.

Good call on the algae type. It is not a hair type it is fine green algae and mostly water born. The water in the tank was so green and the algae so thick I could only see into it about a foot. After the big water change and running the machine for several hours it is much better but not cured.

Welcome to AA!
There is a twelve-step program to help you with...Wait thats the other AA.
Green water is usually from high nutrients and lots of light. How much light on this tank? Does it get direct sunlight? Do not limit the UV sterilizer. Cranking up the UV and/or slowing it's flow will kill more algae. A diatom filter will also help.

Crayfish should do fine if they are big enough to not get eaten. You may also want to consider freshwater clams. They are filter feeders, so they will help with the green water.

A diatom filter can help green water and I've read that some people have "blacked out" the tank to kill it.

I agree, check those phosphate and nitrate levels first...also see of the tank isn't getting a good dose of sunlight each day.

Just a thought....I am just north of you in Alberta, and here tanks containing trout (even those in retail sporting goods shops) are usually owned and maintenanced by Fish & Wildlife (the whole 'owning/transporting gamefish' deal)...is that also a possibility there? If so, it would be more their problem, I should think.

Well I honestly don't know about the legallity of the tank. The fish are from a hatchery so they are not native.

The tank is in a lobby and I have been arguing with the owner for about a year regarding the amount of light it gets. Too much for sure and then the knot head who took over put lights on it, arrgghhhhh. It is horrid. It looks mucho better but between the two of us we have almost 8 hours of cleaning time into it. Perhaps I can cover the top and leave the sides open for now. It is a 4 sided tank. Very nice.

Part of the problem is the UV light is burned out, not sure how long, since they fired us two months ago. I am getting it replaced, 40 watts I believe. I will have to look the system over real good to see if I can slow the water down through the UV. Once again, I did not build this $$ tank.

We are going to test again tonight. We are thinking of adding some phosphate pads too. I am thinking of dropping the temp to 55 and trying the other things mentioned.

Keep it coming.

BTW- the business is Accent Aquarium Service. So the AA is dead on. I should have gone through a 12 step program before getting into this.

Also check the feeding schedule and amounts....nothing to spur unwanted algal growth like an excess of nutrients from well-meant feedings.

as far as what the fish can tolerate, you can drop the temp to 50 and still have it in their optimum if they are brook trout. brown and rainbow will be ok but not their best. the trout will eat the crawfish unless they're freakishly large.

you can slow the flow on the UV by putting it on its own loop.. its a little complicated to explain.. I should have made a drawing of it a long time ago LOL..

ahh.. here you go.. :p you controll the amount of flow going through the loop by resticting the flow of the main line with the gate valve.. the more you restict the flow of the main line the more water is forced to flow through the UV loop.. if the gate valve is left wide open the UV will get almost no flow at all.. Hope this helps.. :p

Id almost be willing to tint the glass of the tank on the non viewing sides of the tank (If possible).

Attachments

• uvloop.gif
    uvloop.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 328
Back
Top Bottom