Trumpet snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everlasting

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a few MTS for my 29 gallon aquarium to help keep the sand substrate sifted up for me. There were about 8 that I "purchased" from the store. They've been in there for a few months now and I went to vaccum the sand a bit because i kept seeing white debris laying on the surface of the black sand. Wellllll after attempting to suck up the debris to no avail i stared and it and realized.........they are ALL baby snails! I sat and counted and then quit after I got to at least 50 little snail bums stickig outta the substrate. Are they going to keep multiplying at this rate? I dont mind having a bunch in there to keep everything stirred up but can they get to cause problems ? I have 3 betta aquariums as well but with gravel bottoms, can I try and somehow grab up some of these babies and put them in those tanks? or do they not like gravel?

Help! I'm drowning in snails :D

They will continue to multiply at that rate. I don't know if the gravel will slow them down. I have sand in all my tanks.

Are there any drawbacks to having a ton of snails? I think they're cool, but is there anything bad that could come of that? It seems like a lot of people consider it a big problem.

People just don't like how they look crawling all over the glass. They can carry parasites too, especially leeches, but once they're in the tank their reproduction won't add anything. If you introduce them intentionally they should be quarantined as you would a fish if you're worried about diseases.

I love snails, but my fish keep eating my babies :( I just made a 5 gallon tank with crushed coral sand to breed them and hopefully add them back into the big tank when they're big enough to avoid predation.

Back
Top Bottom