Trying for better 20g high lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
The lighting i have over my tank right now is very poor... 2 15w cfls. So im trying to upgrade that to about medium light as cheaply as i can.
What kind of lighting would a 24'' double t5 fixture give? Would it give me algae?

Would this lighting be medium-ish? I just want to be sure before i buy anything. Please :)?

Could you give any more info on the fixture you are thinking about? Is it high output or normal output T5's? What is the wattage of EACH bulb?

I was hoping to get only the T5NOs. I think around 14w for each bulb. But i read a couple places wTtage wasnt as importand for t5s as for t8s. The T5HOs looked better, but they are quite a bit more expensive and a lot of places say you need co2 and things. Would the higher lighting give me more algae? I would like otos, and i do have some brown algae (tank set up since july), but i dont think it would be enough to support a group of them. And it would be nice to have some happy plants again after i upgraded from the 10 gallon.

You could potentially have decent light with the two 15w cfls in the hood. If it were me, I would first try it with them ans see what kind of results I got. T5NO can put out a surprising amount of light, so I would be wary with them. T5NO should also give you a good deal of light. Remember though that there are a number of ways to reduce light, and if you ever want to go high light, you could probably get away with diy co2 on a tank that small (multiple bottles kay ne needed).

I acctually have 2 15w cfls in there right now, and everything is dying...(that setup worked great for the 10g though) Either that or not growing. All i really have is java fern for now since the moneywort died. And 2 15w is only 1.5wpg, which is reallllllly low light isnt it? I thought the standard was at least 3wpg for t8 and cfl?

What kind of CFL's are they? Did you get some full spectrum ones? As mentioned above, I'd just work with that instead of getting some t5no/ho's which would be overkill. You can make a pair of CFLs work on a 20h in the medium or possibly even high light range if you do a good job of reflecting them.

Theyre 6500k. There is a reflector behind them. But theyre really pushed close to it since they barely fit into the fixture since its made for incandescants.

Back
Top Bottom